[Solved] Update VirtualBox after host update from 10.10.5 to 10.13

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
kenetto

[Solved] Update VirtualBox after host update from 10.10.5 to 10.13

Post by kenetto »

I have VirtualBox 4 on my Mac along with 100 files I made with TrueBasic. Since I upgraded to High Sierra I haven’t been able to access the files because the OS can’t see the Vbox application. This appears a common problem. And I really CANNOT lose these files.
Here’s my question
If I leave Vbix 4 alone and simply download Vbox 6, will I be able to access those files? My worry is doing something wrong that deletes or makes the files inaccessible.
Thanks.
Kenetto.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Update VirtualBox after host update from 10.10.5 to 10.13

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, I'm a little bit confused from the description...
  • Where are the files?
  • What OS are you referring to?
  • You upgraded to High Sierra from what?
  • What do you mean "the OS can't see the Vbox application"?
  • Why did you post in the OSX Guests section?
  • Nothing is a "common problem", everything has its own characteristics.
So, you want to try again with a more detailed description of the problem? And please avoid generic terms like "it", "that", "OS", "application", but speak with details, complete details.

Like going to the doctor and not saying "I have a pain", but be really specific about where the pain is and when do you feel it... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kenetto

Download question

Post by kenetto »

I have had VirtualBox 4 on my Mac (I believe OS X was Yosemite). And made some 100 files with TrueBasic using Vbox. Since I upgraded to High Sierra I haven’t been able to start Vbox-I get error code 1 and a message about needing a kernel driver. Thus I cannot access the files, but I need to do so files and would like to learn of an easy procedure and having no way the files can be lost.
Here’s an idea and my question
If I leave Vbox 4 alone and simply install Vbox 6, can I use 6 to access those files? My worry is doing something wrong that deletes or makes the files inaccessible.
Thanks.
Kenetto.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Kenetto,
I've merged the two topics you opened, and I simply didn't delete the duplicate, because you have some answers from your first post in the second. I've moved the whole thing to the "OSX Hosts" section where they belong.

You still need to answer a few questions. First of all, you sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading ch. 1.2. Some terminology from the User Manual.

VirtualBox creates Virtual Machines (VMs) or guests. On those VMs you install an operating system, you still haven't told me what yours is (the guest I mean). Is it some sort of Windows? Linux? Other? I suspect that in that guest VM, you have some files that you need, the TrueBasic ones.

You want to access them, but VirtualBox won't start because you're getting an error. That means that VirtualBox has not been installed properly. You need to download the latest VirtualBox (no, version 4 will NOT work) and install it. And read carefully the error messages. Most probably you're dealing with the problem described in Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908), a sticky on the "OSX Hosts" section. Read it carefully, it contains the solution in the first post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kenetto

Post by kenetto »

First, thank you for your help and time. I am a scientist who had used True Basic for decades to write code. When TB was no longer available for later Mac OS’s I started to use VirtualBox on my Mac to make a Windows XP’s environment so I could continue to use TB. VirtualBox was installed on my Mac when the operating system was Yosemite. And it worked well until I upgraded to High Sierra. So, my question still stands. Is it or is it not a way to access my .tb files by installing Vbox 6 even though Vbox 4 remains on the Mac? Does this make sense to you?
Thanks,
Kenetto
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

kenetto wrote:Does this make sense to you?
Not the way you describe it.
  • Your files are in the VM.
    • In order to access the files, you need to run the VM.
      • In order to run the VM you need to update VirtualBox.
All the answers are in my previous post, read it again carefully.
kenetto

Post by kenetto »

Socratis,
I installed Vbox 6. All is now up and working.
Thank you for all your help!
kenetto
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going kenetto. Marking as [Solved].
I also change the title from "Download question" to something more appropriate/meaningful...