Shift+Scroll Wheel does not work on MacBook Pro (#15269)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shift+Scroll Wheel does not work on MacBook Pro (#15269)

Post by socratis »

Oh, I wasn't talking about a VM, I was talking about OSX apps. Like in your Word example? That would move the contents of the window horizontally. It would be against common HIG not to. I'm not 100% sure if the OS enforces it, or it's the apps that do it though, but it's almost a universal thing, haven't seen an app that doesn't do it.

I tried it for a VM window, a DOS one. I shrunk the window so that both horizontal and vertical scrollbars appeared. Wheel would scroll the contents of the window vertically. Shift+Wheel would scroll the contents of the window horizontally.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Shift+Scroll Wheel does not work on MacBook Pro (#15269)

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote:It would be against common HIG not to.
Same as CUA in Windows. A convention, not a rule. I assume the 'G' in HIG stands for "Guidelines".

I'd be surprised if it was enforced by OS X. Not all applications visualize data in the same way, e.g. in that 3D CAD app I mentioned, the entire concept of 2D scrolling is not very useful.