[Resolved] VBoxGuestAdditions.iso (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Basaka

[Resolved] VBoxGuestAdditions.iso (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED)

Post by Basaka »

Hello, I'm very new to Virtualbox and my instructor refuses to respond to me. I'm getting an error code trying to insert Guest Additions CD image and I don't understand.
Unable to insert the virtual optical disk /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine CentOS 7.

Could not mount the media/drive '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Callee: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
This is the error I keep getting and going back in the instructions given to me, I didn't miss a thing. Could it be my computer?

I have a late 2009 model MacBook Air with Hi-Sierra
Intel Core 2 Duo 64-bit
5 gb of RAM

Any and all help will be much appreciated. Please keep instructions simple, too. Again I'm very new and rusty when it comes to Computers. Also! I'm trying to run CentOS 7 as a Virtual Machine, if that helps at all.

-Thank you!
Last edited by socratis on 14. Aug 2019, 01:14, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBoxGuestAdditions.iso (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED)

Post by socratis »

Basaka wrote:VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED)
Something has locked your VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.

Shut down all your VMs. And I don't mean "Saved State" or "Paused", but completely shut them down. If you already have them in "Saved State" or "Paused", then resume the VM and from within the guest OS shutdown the guest OS.

Then go to the menu File » Virtual Media Manager » Optical Disks » find the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso » select it and from the toolbar click (if enabled) the "Release" button, and then the "Remove" button.

PS. Please don't use ALL CAPS in the title of your post, it feels like you're shouting. Everybody here needs help, capitalizing it won't help you any faster or further...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Basaka

Post by Basaka »

@Socratis, you are such a legend my dude! I've been trying so hard to fix this issue and it was that simple? thank you so much! It worked!

My apologies for the all caps title, I haven't posted to a forum since, like, 2012, so I kinda just went with my gut on it lol

again, thank you so much!
Basaka

Post by Basaka »

ok
Last edited by Basaka on 14. Aug 2019, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Resolved] VBoxGuestAdditions.iso (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED)

Post by socratis »

Your original problem was resolved and the thread marked as such, except the fact that I changed the title from "New VirtualBox user and student need help" to something more appropriate.

Please open a new thread for your problem. We like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule...

There are messages to read in that GAs installation output pic that you posted (like reading the installation setup logs). Read them and post them in the new thread. We also need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Djafoe

Post by Djafoe »

Hi, great tips. But I didn't understand what do I have to do after click in "remove" the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED) file...
My files still can't be shared....

Could you help me please?

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Installing the Guest Additions is described in section 4.2 of the user manual. Look for the PDF in the program directory.
David Gillman

Post by David Gillman »

I had the same error and I tried the suggested fix.

The result was that I still get the same error but in addition the VM aborts.

I am uploading the problem report that Apple generated. (2012 iMac, Catalina.)

Thanks for any help.

Best,

David
Attachments
VBox Guest Additions Problem Report 2020-08-28.txt
(103.38 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Dwilbur

Post by Dwilbur »

I too had the same error message and followed the suggestion in the second post of shutting down the guest and removing the GA. without success. What worked for me was to remove the existing "ISO" file from the virtual optical drive, in the Devices menu. Then I was able to insert the Guest Additions cd and successfully install it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Dwilbur, thanks for posting what worked for you.

fwiw, the second post's suggestion to release and remove the Guest Additions ISO would have removed the ISO from your guest's virtual optical drive. So there's something that got missed when you tried the second post's suggestion.

Glad you're up and running!
penelopecharlotte

Post by penelopecharlotte »

socratis wrote:
Basaka wrote:VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED)
Something has locked your VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.

Shut down all your VMs. And I don't mean "Saved State" or "Paused", but completely shut them down. If you already have them in "Saved State" or "Paused", then resume the VM and from within the guest OS shutdown the guest OS.

Then go to the menu File » Virtual Media Manager » Optical Disks » find the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso » select it and from the toolbar click (if enabled) the "Release" button, and then the "Remove" button.
omg, this post saved my life. thanks so much @socratis