[Resolved] VirtualBox NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x800004005)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Cric75
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

[Resolved] VirtualBox NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x800004005)

Post by Cric75 »

Hello,

I've been using a Windows 7 VM with VirtualBox on macOS Mojave (10.14.3) for a few months now, and this error message pops-up since a few days while executing any VM.

Print screen of the error message to come soon.

I've tried with no success to:
  • Uninstall / Reinstall VirtualBox
    Delete my Windows 7 VM and import it again
    Create a new VM and run it
I've also tries a few tricks read in forums, but none of them worked.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by socratis on 14. Aug 2019, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x800004005)

Post by socratis »

Cric75 wrote:this error message pops-up since a few days
What happened in the last few days, what changed?
Cric75 wrote:while executing any VM
Any VM? So, this isn't a VM-specific issue?
Cric75 wrote:Print screen of the error message to come soon.
Please attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message...

Also, if you're using a HiDPI setup, please shrink the image by at least 50%. Or "Preview" your message... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cric75

Post by Cric75 »

Hello socratis,
socratis wrote:What happened in the last few days, what changed?
I'm not sure about that, I think I had a message saying there was an update for Extension Pack, but it seemed I was up to date and nothing happened. Then when I ran the VM, I got this error message.
socratis wrote:Any VM? So, this isn't a VM-specific issue?
Nope, but I only have one VM! When deleting and creating a new VM, the message pops-up again.
socratis wrote:Please attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message...
Ok, I'll do that.
socratis wrote:Also, if you're using a HiDPI setup, please shrink the image by at least 50%. Or "Preview" your message... ;)
Sorry, I don't now what HiDPI setup is :(
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2019-08-10 à 20.54.33.png
Capture d’écran 2019-08-10 à 20.54.33.png (40.81 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Cric75 wrote:I'm not sure about that, I think I had a message saying there was an update for Extension Pack, but it seemed I was up to date and nothing happened.
Then something didn't happen right. Download the ExtPack manually, go to the VirtualBox Preferences » Extensions, remove what's there and install the one that you just downloaded.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cric75

Post by Cric75 »

socratis wrote:We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Interesting enough, I don't have any log (see print screen).
Cric75 wrote:Then something didn't happen right. Go to the VirtualBox Preferences » Extensions, remove what's there and install the one that you just downloaded.
No such luck... See print screen.
Attachments
VB Extension error message
VB Extension error message
Capture d’écran 2019-08-13 à 23.45.29.png (45.58 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
VB Extension
VB Extension
Capture d’écran 2019-08-13 à 23.46.53.png (28.39 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
VB Log
VB Log
Capture d’écran 2019-08-14 à 00.19.04.png (35.18 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It's usually easier, more convenient, smaller size, searchable and quotable, if you use that "Copier" button in the error dialog, and simply paste the error text, instead of posting the image... ;)

Your error is clear:
The owner is not root: '/Applications'.
You have messed up permissions in your host. See the thread "Mojave 10.14.5 Host - Failed to Open Session / Ext Pack Install Failure" for the discussion and some ideas on what might have caused this.

The solution is to run the command:
  • sudo chown root:admin /Applications
Cric75

Post by Cric75 »

socratis wrote:It's usually easier, more convenient, smaller size, searchable and quotable, if you use that "Copier" button in the error dialog, and simply paste the error text, instead of posting the image... ;)
Sorry about that.
socratis wrote:Your error is clear:
The owner is not root: '/Applications'.
You have messed up permissions in your host. See the thread "Mojave 10.14.5 Host - Failed to Open Session / Ext Pack Install Failure" for the discussion and some ideas on what might have caused this.

The solution is to run the command:
  • sudo chown root:admin /Applications
You are my hero of the day!
My VM works fine now :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Resolved] VirtualBox NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x800004005)

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going, marking as [Resolved].