VirtualBox captures USB but windows guest doesn't

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
UpstateCabling

VirtualBox captures USB but windows guest doesn't

Post by UpstateCabling »

Hey guys,

I am new to Mac and I need to be able to get into Windows to do some programming on switches and some other network equipment. I am hoping you guys can help me. I am currently running Mac OS 10.14.6. I just installed VirtualBox, and I installed Windows. I installed guest additions on the Windows VM and the extension pack on the Mac side. I also changed the settings to do USB 3.0 (I have tried 1.1, 2 and 3 and none of them work).

So what is happening is when I connect my usb drive it disconnects from the Mac and sometimes the Windows VM will say nothing, other times it will give an error about not being able to create a proxy which then it normally happens because I manually disconnect it from the Mac I presume. Other times it will say that it is already capturing the usb drive. I look on the Windows OS and I see nothing. I go into Administrative tools and disc management and it isn't listed there either, but it did install a USB root driver. I have been messing with this for a while, and I even uninstalled VirtualBox but left the VM alone and I rebooted the host system and still nothing.

I will attach the log files as well!

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Attachments
Archive.zip
(108.05 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox captures USB but windows guest doesn't

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.

If you don't need direct access to the USB, but just access to its files, consider the VirtualBox Shared Folders option instead...
00:00:36.010031 VUSB: Attached '00007fc8abc75170[proxy 090c:1000]' to port 1 on RootHub#0 (SuperSpeed)
I see that you attach something to your VM, I simply don't know what it is, until you provide me with the information requested in the previous paragraph.

PS. I changed the title of the thread from "VirtualBox captures USB but windows host doesn't" to "VirtualBox captures USB but windows guest doesn't"...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
UpstateCabling

Re: VirtualBox captures USB but windows guest doesn't

Post by UpstateCabling »

I will need direct access to the USB, hopefully this will still work when I connect a serial to USB cable to the VM. But here is the information you requested:

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it!

VirtualBox Version: 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.6.3)
I have installed the guest additions
I am trying to run Windows 7 with 2048 MB. Host is Mac 10.14.6 with 8GB of RAM.

I put all of the commands and logs in the attached file. Thank you so much!

I also followed the document you sent and I have tried everything listed and none of it is working.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(38.38 KiB) Downloaded 17 times