Whence Bridged Networking? ('Host Interface Networking')

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Son of a Beach

Whence Bridged Networking? ('Host Interface Networking')

Post by Son of a Beach »

When will the Mac OS X version of VirtualBox include bridged networking, or Host Interface Networking (HIF) as the manual calls it?

This is the one thing missing from VirtualBox which means that I need to keep Parallels around. I need this for IP-restricted Samba connections, and for various connections to TCP-Wrapped hosts, etc.

Will this make it into the next BETA version?

How long do we need to wait for this?

This is not a criticism, as VirtualBox is already an amazing product, and the latest BETA for Mac OS X is fantastic. It's just that the Mac OS X version is still lagging behind the others in this particular feature, and I'd really like to know if I can plan on using it some time in the future, and if so, when.

Thanks guys!
bozo_guy

Post by bozo_guy »

I'd like to second this question.

I can appreciate that Innotek must prioritize according to what their service paying customers want. I can only assume that USB 2.0 support is up on that list because that's the only way I can see that being worked on before the host based networking problems.

I'd would dearly love to use VirtualBox but in my case it's for testing server software. There is no way for me to do that on a box I can't access services on. For me this is a dealbreaker. It doesn't matter to me that I can't ping out from the host, but not being able to get a route to the host makes this product unuseable.

Please consider this a vote to increase the priority of the host based networking support.

Don't take this as an all negative post. I'm thrilled to see an open alternative to the VMWare and SWSoft products. It looks like an awsome product. Keep up the good work! I look forward to when I can replace my current VMWare Fusion solution.
macbigdog1

I totally agree!!!!!

Post by macbigdog1 »

I would LOVE to use this product as a business solution in a very large scale environment, but without bridged networking, i'm sunk. i'm going to be forced to pay 70-80 bucks for a commercial product now. that comes out to a ton of cash after a while. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix bridged networking!!!
bigyellow

I'll echo everyone else's sentiments

Post by bigyellow »

This is a great product! Is there a timetable regarding when host interface networking and bridging will be supported on the mac?
DvD

Post by DvD »

Hi, just like everyone in this topic, i'd really appreciate that you'll enable bridged networking on mac os versions of virtualbox.
Son of a Beach

Post by Son of a Beach »

...and the silence is deafening...
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

macbigdog1: then you should contact the company directly. I'm sure that for a good sum of money, Innotek be willing to fix Mac OS X problems quickly.