Hardware Issue? Overheating on brand new MBPro

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
enemyben

Hardware Issue? Overheating on brand new MBPro

Post by enemyben »

Hello,

Posting about issues with VBox on brand new MBPro. I've followed the suggestions I've seen on the forum. I'll post my specs and setup summary below, but basically issue is this.

Got brand new MBPro. It's a clean out of the box machine, and isn't trying to pull changes from iCloud backup or anything. Pretty much just installed VBOX current version, and Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Typically within 5 minutes of running VBOX, the surface gets to over 110F, pretty uncomfortable even for just typing on (note - laptop is on a tabletop with nothing on or around it, not a lap). I've got an appointment with apple support later this week to have it looked at in person - am worried its a hardware bug and can get a replacement (hopefully!).

Heres is the details, log attached.

Hardware:
  • MBPro 2019, 13"
  • CPU: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
  • Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
VBOX Setup:
  • CPUS: 2 (of 4 )
  • Memory: 4K (of 16K)
  • Video Memory: 128K
  • Scale Factor: 200% (due to retina display)
  • Graphics Controller :VboxVGA - no reason for this over any other. No difference really when toggling though. 2D and 3D check- boxed
  • Installed Windows 3 days ago. Installed Guest additions. Ran all possible updates, left windows run for 3 days on full screen.
Thanks for the help! Hoping this is a hardware issue and can get a replacement, since I use VBOX happily in my day-to-day on a 4 year old Macbook Air!
Attachments
win10log.txt
(122.7 KiB) Downloaded 32 times