Can't start a Homestead VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
PaulGureghian

Can't start a Homestead VM

Post by PaulGureghian »

I reinstalled Virtualbox and Vagrant and then tried ' vagrant up' and it faulted. any ideas ? thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't start a Homestead VM

Post by socratis »

Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox, but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us, and with unknown consequences, especially the networking part. It is not supported on these VirtualBox forums/channels, they have their own Vagrant support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox (after a complete uninstallation of Vagrant), then we can continue this discussion.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PaulGureghian

Post by PaulGureghian »

Can you tell if this error is from VirtualBox or Vagrant ? I just want to narrow things to one or the other so I can ask in the proper forum.

Also, if I can launch VB from the terminal with 'sudo virtualbox' does that mean my installation is good for the most part ? and I cant launch it from the applications folder because of a Vagrant issue ?

https://imgur.com/a/s23UJno
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message...

The error is coming from VirtualBox, but it could be the way that you're trying to do things with Vagrant. As I said, you need to uninstall Vagrant and continue VirtualBox-only.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PaulGureghian

Post by PaulGureghian »

I tried the upload button , but my file was too big.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It's usually easier, more convenient, smaller size, searchable and quotable, if you use that "Copy" button in the error dialog, and simply paste the error text, instead of posting the whole image of your 4K HiDPI desktop, which you didn't crop, focus, resize, scale... ;)
PaulGureghian

Post by PaulGureghian »

I uninstalled Vagrant and reinstalled Virtualbox. still cant open it from the applications folder. any ideas ? thanks
Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.
The application will now terminate.

Cannot register the hard disk '/Users/paulgureghian/VirtualBox VMs/homestead/ubuntu-18.04-amd64-disk001.vmdk' {a7c11517-f5c5-42ef-b229-068035312a5e} because a hard disk '/Users/paulgureghian/VirtualBox VMs/homestead/ubuntu-18.04-amd64-disk001.vmdk' with UUID {eec0f08a-a801-4ab8-86bf-d3de97c0577a} already exists.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee: IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a text file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes and quits, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
I would also like to see the file "/Users/paulgureghian/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml" (ZIPPED), as well as the the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
PaulGureghian

Post by PaulGureghian »

Actually I found a VB uninstall tool from [ModEdit: URL removed] and it seemed like it worked. I am able to open VB now. just need to figure out why Vagrant had some problems. Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 15. Jul 2019, 17:30, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed URL.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't particularly like 3rd party uninstallers, when the developers have already provided one that works.