How to hide title bar when guest in Full-Screen Mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Mike Lin

How to hide title bar when guest in Full-Screen Mode

Post by Mike Lin »

Hi,

I just encounter a strange problem that never happened before. When I set my guest machine in Full-Screen Mode, it always show the machine name on the top side of the display. Please see the attached file for reference.

I tried to hide/disable the title bar; however just can't find any setting related. Did anyone have similar problem? Is there a workaround to resolve this issue? Thanks for the help in advance. This happened in my all guest machine, Win10, CentOS which I believed should be VirtualBox global settings issue.

Here are some of my H/W, S/W info.

VirtualBox version 6.0.8 r130520
Host: MacBook Pro 2017 w/o Touch Bar

If you need more info, please just let me know.

B. Rgds.,

Michael
Attachments
Vbox session tab.jpg
Vbox session tab.jpg (62.18 KiB) Viewed 3175 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to hide title bar when guest in Full-Screen Mode

Post by socratis »

Mike Lin wrote:I just encounter a strange problem that never happened before
So, what changed in your setup?
Mike Lin wrote:When I set my guest machine in Full-Screen Mode
How?
Mike Lin wrote:Did anyone have similar problem?
Not really, not that I can remember of.
Mike Lin wrote:This happened in my all guest machine
Did you maybe change something on your host?
Mike Lin wrote:which I believed should be VirtualBox global settings issue
Find the file "/Users/<you>/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml", ZIP it and attach it to your reply.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mike Lin

Post by Mike Lin »

Hi socratis,

Thanks for the post. My bad that I can't recall what had I done in the past.
socratis wrote:
Mike Lin wrote:When I set my guest machine in Full-Screen Mode
How?
Just use Host-F to switch to Full-Screen Mode.
socratis wrote:Find the file "/Users/<you>/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml", ZIP it and attach it to your reply.
Here is the zip of "VirtualBox.xml".
Attachments
VirtualBox.xml.zip
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not that I was expecting to see anything, but there's nothing wrong with your VirtualBox.xml, it's the bare minimum.

So, there's something wrong with your setup. And since I'm not on 10.14.5, I haven't studied all the options that OSX has to offer. I'd start by looking at this from the OSX side, not the VirtualBox side. Something like "Full screen app show title bar", maybe an accessibility setting?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mike Lin

Post by Mike Lin »

Dear socratis,
socratis wrote:And since I'm not on 10.14.5, I haven't studied all the options that OSX has to offer. I'd start by looking at this from the OSX side, not the VirtualBox side. Something like "Full screen app show title bar", maybe an accessibility setting?
I am not quite sure that this will be the problem of 10.14.5. If so, I should not be the only one. Anyway, thanks for the post, and I will also do my best looking at both OSX and VirtualBox sides.

B. Rgds.,

Michael
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mike Lin wrote:I am not quite sure that this will be the problem of 10.14.5. If so, I should not be the only one
I know. But, on the other hand, you are the only one, on all the host OSes, that I know of, that sees such a behavior. And when I said 10.14.5, I didn't mean that it's the default behavior, I'm talking about you specifically tinkering with something that caused this. And I suspect that you're going to reply "I didn't change anything", to which I'm going to reply "I don't see it as a default behavior, neither does anyone else".