Shared folders?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
earchide

For me too, s: worked well

Post by earchide »

Finally, your post gave me the solution by typing the command line this "s"
(another post I've seen was telling to type "x" --> not worked)
Now I have the shared folder, with a shortcut on Windows desk : cooool

Host : MacOSX 10.5 with 1Mo RAM
Guest : WinXP SP2 with 512 virtual RAM
(FYI : if virtual RAM = physucal RAM, the installer freeze)
DougR

Post by DougR »

@ amagine

VirtualBox 2.0
Host: Mac OS X 10.5.4 MacBook
Guest: Vista Ultimate 32 SP1
amagine
Volunteer

Post by amagine »

Hmm interesting.

Either a GuestAdditions issue version 2.0 (I suspect)

And/or Vista issue also...
MidwestSunshine

Shared Folders

Post by MidwestSunshine »

Hello. Someone please help me before I scream! I have tried everything in this post to work - but nothing has so far. I have a Mac OSX as the host and installed Windows XP as a guest. I set up a shared folder in the Mac (under System Preferences. I tried typing "net use" code in the command line - just like suggested. I keep getting a "no network found" message. Guest Additions is installed. I've tried to set up shared folders in Windows XP/Virtual Box - but it won't let me. Is this where it's going wrong? I tried to map the Network Drive - but I don't see any folders in the Virtual Box Shared Folders. I don't see anything in "My Networking Places', and under 'Network' there's no 'VirtualBox Shared Folders'. Any suggestions?
bohdi

Post by bohdi »

I have a MBP, and installed VirtualBox - and Vista. I created a folder in documents on my user in OSX, called VISTA - using the create shared folder in settings for the vista machine.

In VISTA, I my computer, and on the left side, I rightclicked on the folders, and choosed add network-station (translated from Norwegian unfortenately...) in the submenu.

I choosed a drive letter (X:), and wrote the following syntax in the field under:
\\vboxsvr\vista

and pressed enter.

Wait a while, and the letter x: mounts - and with a little bit of luck so will the share....

Ps. Did the exact same thing on xp a week ago...

Good luck!
wb

Shared Folders

Post by wb »

I struggled a lot to get the Shared Folders from the host (Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard) showing up in in the guest system (Windows Vista). First Vista did not allow me to map the shared folders (you have to; they don’t show up out of themselves). After typing a few characters Vista stopped accepting further characters. Probably as result of updating Windows Vista, it was suddenly possible to fully type \\vboxsvr\NameOf Shared Folder and map the shared folders (Reconnect at login selected). However, a few problems remain.

1. On a new startup Vista warns that not all network devices could be connected and the shared folders indeed show up in Computer or Explorer with a red cross. Double clicking such a folder removes the red cross and opens the shared folder. On a next restart the same happens again.
2. Even if a shared folder is connected, they remain somehow disconnected for Internet Explorer: you can’t open a local file in a shared folder in IE. You can browse for it (in spite of the red cross showing up again), select it to open in IE, but IE won’t open it (same error message as when trying to open an Internet page without Internet connection).

I would really appreciate some help how to overcome these issues.

I’m not a Windows or Vista expert and I don’t intend to become one. In fact I don’t like Windows - so clumsy and complicated compared to MaxOSX. However, sometimes you unfortunately still need it in order to work with colleagues....
vickoxy

Post by vickoxy »

DougR wrote:Oh man, this was driving me crazy, but the

Code: Select all

net use s: \\vboxsvr\sharename 
did the trick for me, too.

Thanks!
ok, i have same problem, but where do i have to write/paste that line? And sharename is name in MacOs or in vista...? please help me someone...
vickoxy

Post by vickoxy »

"net use s: \\vboxsvr\nameoffolderyoushared" command did for the Vista Job. Only i didn´t know where to put it.

Now VirtualBox works perfectly. I installed also Trial VMWare Fusion 2, but VB seems to work much faster and better integrated.
criatura555

Maybe we are confuse...

Post by criatura555 »

Before use this code 'net use x: \\vboxsvr\name_of_shared_folder' at Windows Command Prompt you must:

01. create the shared folder at 'Devices\shared folders' menu from VirtualBox

02. install from the same menu 'Devices' the 'guest additions' - My VirtualBox is in portuguese so I'm translating the name, but is the last item at 'Devices" menu. This will start an install process inside your windows virtual machine.

03.finally, go to the prompt inside windows and type the command 'net use x: \\vboxsvr\name_of_shared_folder'

YOUR VIRTUAL MACHINE MUST BE RUNNING DURING THIS PROCEDURE

I test this with MacOS 10.5.6 (iDeneb) as host and Windows XP as guest
se6git

Re: Shared folders?

Post by se6git »

Trying to connect shared folders to XP (running VB on Mac 10.5).
The Guest Additions failed at first attempt and wont even try anymore, clicking install just gives nothing, not even an error.
Tried "net use s: \\vboxsvr\User\name\Documents\SharedFolder\" with combinations of forward and back slashes but no joy.
Any advice? Other than "go back to VMWare".