[WorksForMe] Can't get VBoxManage guestcontrol to connect

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JamesNJ

[WorksForMe] Can't get VBoxManage guestcontrol to connect

Post by JamesNJ »

Hello all, trying to learn VBoxManage here and having some trouble. MacOS 10.14.5 Host, Virtualbox 6.0.8.

I have installed very basic/minimal Ubuntu 18.04 guests, and I think I have guest editions installed correctly:
# cat /proc/modules | fgrep vbox
vboxguest 303104 0 - Live 0xffffffffc034d000
Guest OS seems to run fine, but I can't seem to do anything useful with VBoxManage guestcontrol. I'm trying just to get a simple example working:
VBoxManage guestcontrol "Ubuntu 18.04" run --username 'user' --password 'password' --exe /bin/ls
All I ever get is:
Creating guest session as user 'user'...
Waiting for guest session to start...
VBoxManage: error: The guest execution service is not ready (yet)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005), component GuestSessionWrap, interface IGuestSession, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "WaitForArray(ComSafeArrayAsInParam(aSessionWaitFlags), 30 * 1000, &enmWaitResult)" at line 879 of file VBoxManageGuestCtrl.cpp
Guest is booted and running for some time ... maybe 10min or more. I can't tell if VBoxManage can't connect for some reason, or there is a problem with guest editions, etc.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 20. Jun 2019, 06:13, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't get VBoxManage guestcontrol to connect

Post by socratis »

JamesNJ wrote:I think I have guest editions installed correctly
Instead of/in addition to seeing if a VirtualBox process is running, try as well (from within the guest):
  • 
    VBoxControl -version
Please tell me the complete output if you reply to this.
JamesNJ wrote:I'm trying just to get a simple example working:
I did:
  • 
    VBoxManage guestcontrol "<VM>" run --exe "/bin/ls" --username socratis --password password[/i]
and it worked just fine.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JamesNJ

Post by JamesNJ »

Thank you ... completely my fault here ... guest additions was not running properly. I got it all installed correctly and rebooted guest .... everything works great now.

Thanks for the quick response!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you figured it out. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.