Install Virtual Box on external HDD/ USB stick

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MartinMihaylov

Install Virtual Box on external HDD/ USB stick

Post by MartinMihaylov »

Hallo, i am a bit new in the Mac OS X and need some help. I am trying to install a Virtual Box becous i need Windows for some of my applications that i use (AVR Studio and Altium) but i have a limited space on my MacBook so i wanted to install the Virtual Box on external HDD or a big USB stick. After i start the instalation i can't choose to change the place of installetion to be the external HDD. Do someone have the same problem or can someone recomend me something to read or some online tutorials. Thanks for the help. :wink:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Install Virtual Box on external HDD/ USB stick

Post by socratis »

You can't install VirtualBox anywhere else except "/Applications". And it can't be named anything else except "VirtualBox.app". That's due to security.

But why do you care about the application itself, it only takes ~350 MB (last count). If you're worried about the VMs' size, you can direct VirtualBox to use something else. See VirtualBox Preferences » General » Default Machine Folder.

Be careful though about speed and sudden loss of the external hard drive, it can really ruin your day.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MartinMihaylov

Re: Install Virtual Box on external HDD/ USB stick

Post by MartinMihaylov »

Thanks for the answer, it really helpt . I am not conserned so much about the size of the VB app but i wanted to install my Windows 10 on the externel HDD or USB beacous i dont have a lot of free space on my SSD drive. But anyway i will check the tipp,that you gave me, and hope i can manage to install the Windows on the external HDD .