[Solved] Formatting drives as EXT3 via Linux on VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Toke

[Solved] Formatting drives as EXT3 via Linux on VirtualBox

Post by Toke »

Hi

I am new to Virtual Box and Linux.

I have Virtual box running on a Mac. I have installed Linux. It runs.

My purpose of all this is to be able to format an attached USB-drive as Ext3 as this can not be done on Mac OS - and I need it!

But is it possible to see attached drives via Virtual Box - > Linux?? Currently I only see the VM-drive?

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Formatting drives as EXT3 via Linux on VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

If USB2/USB3 support is enabled (i.e. if the extension pack is installed, and the appropriate USB level is enabled in the VM settings) then external USB drives should work.
Toke

Post by Toke »

Thanks for a quick reply. Sorry I am new to all of this.

I installed the extension pack.

Regarding the USB level being enabled in the VM settings. I did this: Setting -> Ports -> USB - here i made sure USB controller was enabled - and i added the drive connected via USB (under USB Device filters) and selected USB3.

Rebooted the Linux VM.

Look under Disk. But USB disk is not there?

What am I missing?

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Toke wrote: Regarding the USB level being enabled in the VM settings. I did this: Setting -> Ports -> USB
? I'm not aware of any "Ports" branch in the VM settings. We are talking about the VM settings right? not settings somewhere on the host or guest OS.
Toke wrote: here i made sure USB controller was enabled
You can't just tick the "Enabled" box, you need to ensure that the correct USB controller chipset is selected. The correct value will depend on what USB version the device requires, and what USB version the guest OS supports. USB3 (xHCI) ought to be safe with a recent Linux version.
Toke wrote: Look under Disk. But USB disk is not there?
I have no idea what "Look under Disk" means. Are you referring to a file browser inside the Linux guest OS? After creating a USB filter, hopefully one tuned to match your USB flash drive and nothing else, you should wait until the guest OS has booted to its desktop before plugging in the device.

Perhaps you should read:
USB Basics and Troubleshooting.
Toke

Post by Toke »

Thanks! - Got it working!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: [Solved] Formatting drives as EXT3 via Linux on VirtualBox

Post by andyp73 »

mpack wrote:I'm not aware of any "Ports" branch in the VM settings.
On macOS hosts the "Serial Ports" and "USB" are two tabs under "Ports" on the settings page...
Screenshot 2019-06-14 at 14.03.37.png
Screenshot 2019-06-14 at 14.03.37.png (107.66 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
Toke wrote:My purpose of all this is to be able to format an attached USB-drive as Ext3 as this can not be done on Mac OS
I do something similar for deploying embedded Linux images to uSD cards and paid $40 for extFS for Mac.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.