Lots of guest VM issues since switching to new iMac

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Ice-9

Lots of guest VM issues since switching to new iMac

Post by Ice-9 »

Hello, this is my first time posting an issue here. I'll try to be both thorough and succinct.

I've used my old 2011 iMac, most recently running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, with few issues on my multiple VMs for many years. This older machine runs VirtualBox 5.2.30, I'm guessing because of the OS, which can't be upgraded further because of the hardware.

For a couple months now, I've had a brand new 2019 iMac running macOS Mojave 10.14.5. This machine is running VirtualBox 6.0.8, on which I've added three almost identical VMs to what I had set up on the old machine. Each has problems, but to keep it simple, I'll focus on my Debian VM (Actually running BunsenLabs 9.8 Helium.) If a solution is found to that one, hopefully we may solve the other two VM issues as well.

A quick note: The first day I started the BunsenLabs VM, I had an issue with repeating keys. However, this was easily solved by turning off the ability to repeat keys in the guest OS. I just thought I'd mention this since it could be related to the other problems I'm still experiencing.

The main problem I'm still experiencing with the BunsenLabs VM on the new iMac is that, after working fine for maybe 30-40 minutes, the mouse will suddenly not be responsive for maybe ten minutes at a time, then become usable again. For example, I may hover over a link but the cursor won't change to a finger like it usually does, or at least not for several seconds, and any clicks are delayed as well. The attached log "VBox_mouse_acting_up" should document this issue.

Another issue with this VM is when I attempt to watch a YouTube video, all control of the guest is lost. Previous to this post, I played a video and adjusted it to full screen. Control of the mouse was lost, and I had to Close the VM to exit. This is the "BunsenLabs Helium-video_had_to_quit" log I've attached.

I hope I've included all the appropriate information, but of course will be happy to respond with more if requested. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Attachments
BunsenLabs Helium-video_had_to_quit.log.zip
(29.26 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
VBox_mouse_acting_up.log.zip
(29.56 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Ice-9

Re: Lots of guest VM issues since switching to new iMac

Post by Ice-9 »

Hello, still hoping to find an answer. If I've left out some important info or something wasn't clear, please let me know.

If original post is too confusing: Basically the VM loses mouse control at some random point while using the VM. This also more predictably occurs specifically when watching a video. Logs attached for both scenarios. Nearly identical VMs on an old iMac in VBox 5.2 have no such issues, but the new iMac with VBox 6.0.8 has these issues.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I doubt it will make a difference, but you should certainly use the correct template for a VM. For example if your "BunsenLabs" VM is Debian 64, then you should use the Debian 64 template, not the Oracle 64 template.

Also, please confirm that you are not using USB redirection to capture the host mouse. I ask because I see this line :-
00:00:01.915132 VUSB: Attached 'HidMouse' to port 1 on RootHub#0 (FullSpeed)
Which I do not see in my own VMs (since the host must keep ownership of shared devices).
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Thank you mpack.

I hadn't even noticed the Oracle 64 template, my mistake on that one. I will likely recreate the VM soon with the appropriate Debian 64 setting since you pointed it out. But as you said, it likely won't make a difference. I also have a Lubuntu VM that is set to the correct Ubuntu 64 template but still experiences similar mouse issues to the Bunsen Labs (Debian) VM I described above.

I need to do more Googling on the USB redirection you asked about, as I'm not quite clear on that term. However, I suspect that may have to do with this: In my desperation with the Apple Magic Mouse 2 not working properly in the VM, I had connected a wired USB mouse to see if that would work any better. The wired mouse seemed to solve the problem for maybe a minute, but then eventually produced the same behavior as the Magic Mouse 2. The usb mouse remained plugged in during both of the sessions documented in the logs attached in my original post.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I understand what USB redirection is now. Yes, the two previous logs had a USB mouse connected, as described above. The problem persists even without the USB mouse attached. If it helps, I'm attaching a log of the video issue without USB mouse connected so hopefully you won't be seeing that line.
Attachments
Video_issue_without_USB_mouse.log.zip
(28.1 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You should go ahead and change OS version to Debian (64bit). There should be no need to reinstall.

Since you have the extension pack installed I'd also go ahead and enable USB3 (xHCI) support in the VM settings.

The mouse glitches may simply be caused by stress under load. Try allocating 2 or 3 cores to the VM: I wouldn't go more than that as the returns will become negative (idle cores cost time for context swaps but add nothing to performance).

Contrary to what you said I still see this in the log:
00:00:01.801690 VUSB: Attached 'HidMouse' to port 1 on RootHub#0 (FullSpeed)
To me this looks like you are still hooking the mouse that the host needs to be in charge of. If you have any USB filters defined at all then please delete them, or else ensure that the manufacturer code cannot match the host mouse or keyboard.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Thanks again mpack.

So far I've:
* changed OS version to Debian (64 bit)
* enabled USB3 (xHCI) support in VM settings
* allocated 3 cores to the VM

After doing the above, unfortunately I still experience the mouse issues, both after using the VM a while and also more predictably by playing a video.

I do not have any USB filters. Other than that I am not clear as to what you are suggesting at the end of your last message. My 2019 iMac uses Magic Mouse 2. Currently (and reflected on the most recent log posted two posts up from this one), I do not have a USB mouse attached. I did not configure anything special for the VM for the mouse - I just assumed the same Magic Mouse 2 that works on the Mac host would work on the Linux VM guest. That is how things always operated on my older iMac running VirtualBox 5.2.30 with the older version of Magic Mouse without issue, so I assumed no special mouse configuration would be needed on the newer iMac running VirtualBox 6.0.8. If that is incorrect and some special configuration is needed, please let me know.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Then perhaps the HID mouse thing in the log is just a function of using an OS X host. Incidentally: your host mouse is almost certainly USB, whether or not it connects to an external USB port. What's the alternative bus it could be using? Serial? PS/2? I think not.

Otherwise I think I'm going to have to leave you to another Mac user. I'm on Windows myself and only intervened because no-one else had answered.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I learn something new every time I visit this forum, and your most recent post is no exception. Thank you for your time mpack, greatly appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Sorry for chiming late into the discussion, I was rather "unavailable" when it started... ;)
00:00:01.670742   NumCPUs           <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:01.809042 CPUM: Physical host cores: 6
Just like mpack's comments, I would definitely give your VM a 2nd or a 3rd or even a 4th CPU, depending on how big of a use you make of the VM.
00:00:01.670948 VMSVGA3dEnabled  <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:01.670949 VMSVGAEnabled    <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:01.670950 VMSVGAPciId      <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen. Change the Graphics controller from "VMSVGA" to "VBoxVGA". Definitely enable 3D acceleration. See if the vGPU change makes a difference...
00:00:01.733796 GUI: UIMachineLogicFullscreen::sltHandleNativeFullscreenWillEnter:
    Machine-window #0 will enter native fullscreen
00:00:02.321897 GUI: UIMachineLogicFullscreen: Additions-state actual-change event,
    rebuild multi-screen layout
00:00:23.808903 VMMDev: SetVideoModeHint: Got a video mode hint (2560x1440x32)@(0x0),(1;0) at 0
You seem to be using "exotic" screen layouts. You got to remember that this is a virtual GPU that you have in the machine. Moving so many pixels in software rendering is not going to be easy, especially with 1 CPU for your VM. Try to go with windowed mode, 1280x1024.

And no full-screen video young man! :)
mpack wrote:
00:00:01.801690 VUSB: Attached 'HidMouse' to port 1 on RootHub#0 (FullSpeed)
That is not a USB filter at work, that is a "USB Tablet" in the VM Settings » General. It has a very similar entry to a USB being captured except that it's missing the VendorID:ProductID in the log entry:
00:05:57.079179 VUSB: Attached '00007f960d72d280[proxy 0718:070a]' to port 2 on RootHub#1 (HighSpeed)
mpack wrote:Then perhaps the HID mouse thing in the log is just a function of using an OS X host
No, it's not, I tested it with OSX, Linux Mint19 and a Win10-64 host, the same entry appears on each and every VM that has a pointing device of "USB Tablet". BTW, the mouse on the Mint19 and Win10-64 host is in fact a PS/2 mouse. ;)

Finally, on a personal note, I have a MBP, and many times my USB mouse gets stuck (not "Magic", rather "Simple plain"). I have to unplug it, wait for 5" and plug it back again. Mind you that the problem shows on the host, not on any VM, it's not VirtualBox related.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Socratis, thank you for the recommendations. I've tried them out over the last week. The less predictable issue with losing the mouse at random times during normal use still happens, but I'm pretty sure it's happening less frequently and for shorter periods now, so that's a big help.

The more predictable video issue still happens without fail. Even when I leave full screen and just have a small window, a few seconds after playing a video the mouse control is lost. I can get it back for brief periods after several seconds of spastically clicking around with the mouse, but then I lose it again. I'm thinking video may not be possible at all within VMs with the new iMac.

I'm realizing from your post that the neat selling point of 5120 x 2880 Retina display on the new iMac actually may make it more difficult to use VirtualBox. You called 2560x1440 "exotic" in your post, but that was achieved by actually setting the scale factor at 200% (using default, the VM screen was so small it was unreadable). On my older 2011 iMac running VirtualBox 5.2.30, the display was 2560x1440 by default and experienced none of these problems. Even video could be played at full screen size without issue.

Thanks again for the very clear point-by-point help.