VM keeps crashing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Sy
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

VM keeps crashing

Post by Sy »

Today I have a new problem, I'm using VirtualBox version 6.0, the virtual machine is running Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS

I'm using Qt Creator in the VM and after a while and with nothing displayed the VM stops responding, the only thing I can do is close the VM and relaunch, loosing anything I haven't saved.
Kind Regards,
Sy
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VM keeps crashing

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sy

Post by Sy »

Thank you, please find attached log.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(33.56 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Kind Regards,
Sy
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Your system only has 4 physical CPU cores.
Please try setting the guest to 2 or 3 vCPU, so that the host still has a free core to handle the VM?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.185427 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:01.329234 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
Just like Martin said, lower the vCPU allocation for your guest. I have mine set to 2 usually out of the 4 cores of my host.
00:00:01.185499 [/Devices/ahci/0/LUN#0/Config/] (level 5)
00:00:01.185501   BlockCache <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Go to the VM Settings » Storage » select the SATA controller » Use Host I/O Cache: enable that.
Sy wrote:I'm using Qt Creator in the VM and after a while and with nothing displayed the VM stops responding
  1. Why Qt Creator in a VM when there's a native OSX implementation?
  2. Which Qt version? Maybe I could try and replicate it...
I don't have anything more than that, except one thing; check your screensaver, make sure it's off, not active. Not blank, but not activated at all.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sy

Post by Sy »

Thank you for your post, I have reduce CPU's to 2 and enabled Host I/O Cache. I'm using Ubuntu because the SDK I have to use for the target hardware is only available as an old version that is only compatible with Linux Ubuntu.
Kind Regards,
Sy