Can't get VB 2.0 to install Windows XP from a ISO image

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
wfiveash

Can't get VB 2.0 to install Windows XP from a ISO image

Post by wfiveash »

I created a VM for a Windows XP install using VB 2.0 running on 10.5.4 (Macbook Pro) but I do not see how I can install WinXP via a ISO disk image I have on my MBP harddrive. When I try to mount the iso image via the CD/DVD ROM config, the invalid settings warning shows up. I've selected Mount CD/DVD ROM and ISO Image File but when I open up the browser window so I can select the image file, nothing appears.

Is this a known VB 2.0 bug?
wfiveash

Post by wfiveash »

Nevermind, I just say the Add menu item at the top. I will say the VM install function on VB needs work/refinement. For one thing the docs say there is a Add button but on OS X there is a Add thing that looks more like a menu item than a button and it's not where I expected to find the Add "button".

Even more important, there should be an install helper similar to what Parallels offers when one creates a new VM. Basically it offers to step one through installing a VM and and one point will prompt to install either off the DVD drive or via a ISO image and has a simple file browser that comes up.
Generally this is more intuitive (at least for me).

Will