Can't Reinstall VirtualBox on Mojave

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ZachyDaddy

Can't Reinstall VirtualBox on Mojave

Post by ZachyDaddy »

I downloaded VirtualBox and tried to load up High Sierra on a VM. I didn't have my settings correct, and after correcting them it still didn't work. I read that I needed to uninstall VirtualBox and then reinstall. I have an app called AppZapper that deletes applications and all associated files. It has worked well in the past, but this time I "zapped" VirtualBox and it didn't go anywhere. So I deleted it manually by dumping it in the trash.

I went to reinstall VirtualBox and now it will go all the way installation then throw an error code saying that it can't finish. The weird part is, is that it does finish and I can open the application. However, the first time I did reinstalled VirtualBox it still had my old broken VM in it that I had previously deleted when I deleted VirtualBox the first time.

The error I get when installing VirtualBox is just a general contact the manufacturer message with no code. The error I get when trying to run my VM is this.
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine HSVM.

The virtual machine 'HSVM' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Any help on any side would be much appreciated!

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't Reinstall VirtualBox on Mojave

Post by socratis »

If you're going for 6.0.8, and you're in 10.14.5, it won't work. See the sticky on the top of the OSX Hosts area, installation fails for vbox 6.0.8 on osx 10.14.5.

For all other versions, see again the sticky on the top of the OSX Hosts area, Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ZachyDaddy

Re: Can't Reinstall VirtualBox on Mojave

Post by ZachyDaddy »

I found the solution. I am going for 6.0.8 on 10.14.5. After reading about 20 different forum threads I got it to work. Seems there are two options. 1) Disable SIP (not recommended) or 2) Go to the boot menu with Command + R on boot up and manually add VirtualBox permissions. Code included below. I'm too new to post the link, but it's on the site titled superuser under the title "Can't allow VirtualBox installation in Security & Privacy under macOS" It's a long post, but the solution I've copied here is at the very bottom.

Restart your mac in Recovery mode (cmd + R)

Then open a Terminal and enter : spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963

Restart your mac.