Win10 guest slow on MacPro with 10.14.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dsbell

Win10 guest slow on MacPro with 10.14.4

Post by dsbell »

Mohave 10.14.4
Mac Pro, Mid 2012
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 7950 3 GB
Tried EFI/Non EFI
4 CPUs assigned, 8 GB RAM.
Tried with most recent build, extensions and guest additions installed correctly.
Tried with all graphics acceleration disabled, and again with 3D graphics enabled.

All guests are too slow to even think about using. This started happening immediately after upgrade to Mohave, and has been going on for a long time. I've read everything I can find.

What am I missing? I really don't want to buy a subscription to Parallels even though the eval version of that works beautifully.

EDIT: It's running better, but I can't assign much resources without it bogging down again. I have 12cores and 24 threads - I can only go to 2 before it starts lagging. 8 GB ram seems to be about the limit - of 64 GB. The default execution cap was too low. I set it to 100%.

While this is usable and snappy enough for browsing and such, I really can't use it for anything very heavy duty. I wasn't so limited on High Sierra.

I've attached the current log.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(40.41 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Win10 guest slow on MacPro with 10.14.4

Post by socratis »

Please don't piggyback on someone else's thread, it's easy enough to open your own, your very own thread. I separated your thread from where you originally posted.
00:00:01.556844 ICH9 <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Any particular reason why you decided to override the template defaults, and go with an unsupported, experimental, OSX-guests-only option? Please change it back to the default PIIX3. Do not change the defaults unless you know what you're getting into.
dsbell wrote:Tried EFI/Non EFI
I can't "forgive" the ICH9 setting, but the EFI, I do. However, there is absolutely no gain into changing that. Frankly I don't see the point in people choosing EFI, it offers absolutely no advantages (or disadvantages) after the boot stage.
00:00:02.380092 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
Enable that in the VM Settings » Display.

Other than that, your config looks fine.
dsbell wrote:I can only go to 2 before it starts lagging
Lagging doing what?
dsbell wrote:8 GB ram seems to be about the limit
That sounds about right. Unless you're doing heavy database crunching on the background, that's more that enough (methinks).
dsbell wrote: The default execution cap was too low. I set it to 100%.
No, the default execution cap *is* 100%.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
valerino

Post by valerino »

i have the same problem on 10.14.5 with a macbook pro 2017. somewhat solved setting the gfx adapter to VBoxVGA instead of VBoxSVGA.

now i have the problem that whenever the guest turn off the screen as when it goes into standby, it doesn't get back anymore and you have to reset the vm.

other than that, the VBoxVGA thing fixes the main issue.....
dsbell

Post by dsbell »

Tried settings above with little/no difference. Best with 2CPUs (of 12 Cores) max before noticeable interface slowdown. It's aggravating that I can't use more than a small fraction of the resources available. Startup is glitchy if not full screen - I have to resize the window to be presented with a useable login screen.

I've been using Vbox for years on Windows, Mac and Linux hosts and don't ever remember as many issues. I'd blame Mohave, but the Parallels demo works fine. Then again, Parallels only has MAC OS hosts to consider - Oracle's job is not as simple.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(33.41 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Sy
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by Sy »

My performance is much better now, I have 8Gb of memory in my iMAC so I gave 4Gb to the virtual machine, I also reduced the screen resolution of the VM.
Kind Regards,
Sy
BootersNo

Post by BootersNo »

Just wanted to chime in that I'm having the same problems with my MacPro host: If I give a windows guest more than 2 CPUs, then guest becomes almost unusable.