3D Acceleration Not Working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JoeBlow123

3D Acceleration Not Working

Post by JoeBlow123 »

Hello All,

I've done a decent amount of trouble shooting on this and I'm having no luck.

Host Machine: 2011 Macbook Pro
Guest Machine: Windows 7

I'm trying to enable 3D Acceleration on my Guest Machine. I have 2D video and 3D acceleration checked in Settings>Display of my Guest. I've also installed DirectX in Safe Mode (and checked 3D Acceleration) upon install on guest machine.

When I run dxdiag and go to display, under DirectX Features DirectDraw Acceleration is enabled while Direct3D acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration are both 'Not Available'. I've seen screenshots of this window where a button is on the right side of these options with label enable or disable, but there are no buttons to the side of these elements.

There is a note that says VBoxDisp is not digtally signed. Is this the problem? Also, when I go to the device manager on the guest machine under display adapters I only see the VirtualBox Graphics Adapter and no other device. So this seems to me like the Guest can't see the host GPU. I understand that because it's virtualized, so is the hardware. But I thought the 3D Acceleration check box in the settings of VB helped with this visibility.

Any guidance would be great!

Thanks,

- JoeBlow
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 3D Acceleration Not Working

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.