Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object. The application will now terminate.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
shuva

Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object. The application will now terminate.

Post by shuva »

I am getting the following error on my MAC pc. I don't see the VirtualBox folder in the location either. Instead, It just shows VirtualBox VMs with a list of all my VMs
Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.

The application will now terminate.

Document is empty.

Location: '/Users/shuvadass/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.

/Users/vbox/tinderbox/6.0-mac-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[624] (nsresult VirtualBox::init()).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee: IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}
Last edited by socratis on 27. Apr 2019, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object. The application will now terminate.

Post by socratis »

You also posted in the thread Virtualbox Won't Run At All (I've deleted your duplicate post), but you didn't read the answers:
shuva wrote:Location: '/Users/shuvadass/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.
Your VirtualBox.xml file is corrupt/empty. You have two options:
  1. If there is a "VirtualBox.xml-prev"
    • Delete the "VirtualBox.xml",
    • Copy the "VirtualBox.xml-prev" to "VirtualBox.xml".
  2. Delete "VirtualBox.xml" and it will be recreated. You will lose the list of your VM and your VirtualBox Manager settings. The VMs can be re-added manually via the "Add..." menu.
Of course the best solution is to restore the most recent backup of that file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
shuva

Re: Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object. The application will now terminate.

Post by shuva »

There is .xml file. I did read your previous answers. I followed the location to find the file, but I did not see any .xml file
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

shuva wrote:There is .xml file
You got to be more specific than that, I need the full name/path of the file.
shuva wrote:There is .xml file
shuva wrote:but I did not see any .xml file
Huh???
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hooliganfrombhutan

Post by hooliganfrombhutan »

Socratis wrote:
shuva wrote:Location: '/Users/shuvadass/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.
Your VirtualBox.xml file is corrupt/empty. You have two options:
  1. If there is a "VirtualBox.xml-prev"
    • Delete the "VirtualBox.xml",
    • Copy the "VirtualBox.xml-prev" to "VirtualBox.xml".
  2. Delete "VirtualBox.xml" and it will be recreated. You will lose the list of your VM and your VirtualBox Manager settings. The VMs can be re-added manually via the "Add..." menu.
Of course the best solution is to restore the most recent backup of that file.
Worked for me thank you, saved a lot of my time!