Can't Open Virtual Box After a Crash

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Colin Smith

Can't Open Virtual Box After a Crash

Post by Colin Smith »

-I am using version 6 of Virtual Box, and have not installed any guest additions
-Host: Mac OSx version 10.14.4 256GB of memory, Guest: Windows 10 64-bit 70GB of memory allocatedDocument is empty.
-This is the error message I receive upon opening VirtualBox:

Document is empty.
Location: '/Users/Colin/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.
/Users/vbox/tinderbox/6.0-mac-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[624] (nsresult VirtualBox::init()).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
VirtualBoxWrap
Interface:
IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee:
IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}

I am not sure what to do at this point, but I will be trying to find the file referred to in the error message. I am hoping for a solution beyond having to wipe everything and start over.
Attachments
VBox.log
Logs up until the crash
(75.18 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Can't Open Virtual Box After a Crash

Post by andyp73 »

Colin Smith wrote:Document is empty.
Location: '/Users/Colin/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.
If you look in the directory /Users/Colin/Library/VirtualBox you should see that there is another file called VirtualBox.xml-prev. Provided this file isn't also 0 bytes in length then shutdown everything VirtualBox related, and make a copy of VirtualBox.xml-prev as VirtualBox.xml to replace the damaged copy.

Fire up VirtualBox and all should be OK.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.