Impression on 2.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
h1d
Volunteer

Impression on 2.0

Post by h1d »

Congratulations on the new release.

I just got my hands on the 2.0 and used the old guest images from 1.6.4 (didn't try 1.6.6) and Ubuntu worked good so far. Even the idle CPU usage dropped from 10-12% down to 3-4% :shock: (before using the gigabit ether virtual nic, it was 30% :wink:) very nice.

The host networking worked ok (maybe this dropped the CPU usage?) picked a IP from a DHCP server outside the very machine and could 'ping' anywhere just as if I had such a different machine.

Also, obviously the log flooding in /Application is gone too.

I'll keep adding comments as I use it.
h1d
Volunteer

Post by h1d »

I just tried to use the PCnet virtual NIC (though I had to recreate the virtual machine entry or else I got some "Failed to get MAC address : VERR_CFGM_VALUE_NOT_FOUND" error) and then booted up and now it uses only 6% of CPU when idle. (Edit : This was on NAT mode, and even with gigabit NIC, with NAT mode, it was using 6% CPU, so now there's no difference between CPU usage of these 2 NIC drivers) So, great improvement here. Now onto the infamous shared folder testing...
h1d
Volunteer

Post by h1d »

Shared folder ceased to work at all... Anyone got a clue? No one seems to hit this problem on 2.0 either by the look of the search.

I loaded up an already installed Ubuntu back from 1.6.4. Things go good. I added a shared folder on the config interface and booted up (didn't have any before), reinstalled GA on top of 1.6.4 GA, rebooted, made sure the 'vboxadd/vboxvfs' services are running, kernel modules are loaded and the module files timestamps were the time when I installed the GA.

Like usual, I go

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t vboxsf Data ~/Data
and I get

/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error
It's quite sure I have an entry of 'Data' exported as a shared folder in the GUI config.
 Edit:  A simple struggle got it working, but this is weird...

sudo mount.vboxsf Data ~/Data
---

Now I tried to use and unfortunately, it is still doing nuts... Simply put, I have this shared folder mounted off from OS X's native HFS+ volume. And I simply do

svn co http://redmine.rubyforge.org/svn/branches/0.7-stable redmine
to pull some source code out of some place, and this simply fails in the middle and it does succeed once I do this on the native file system space inside guest. (Same command does work if I run this on host natively inside SAME folder.)

Why is vboxsf just broken :?:

Is this just me or anyone on a OS X (maybe even on Windows with NTFS shared folder) confirm the above command failing on a HFS+ shared folder?

I'm not doing anything tricky or making heavy load on it. 
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

No comments other that keep up the good work.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
h1d
Volunteer

Post by h1d »

I really hope something gets done (and for a starter, if anyone else can see this happen and prove I'm not the only weird user)..., when you share a folder via built in share function with smb, firewall WILL simply open the ports up no matter what... (Unless you deploy a 3rd party firewall app) which means, you obviously don't want to go out in the open with it... (of course without password no one may get in, but still...) I can't really make a better report since I see no errors anywhere but files just simply fail.
JoeEkaitis

Post by JoeEkaitis »

I'll happily trade the "native" interface for one with the tool tips window. It's a pain to bust out the user guide and try to find what each setting does.
c123

Post by c123 »

JoeEkaitis wrote:I'll happily trade the "native" interface for one with the tool tips window. It's a pain to bust out the user guide and try to find what each setting does.
Just upgraded from 1.6.4 to 2.0 and had exactly the same conclusion as you!
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

F1 should bring up the online version. Not tooltips but ...
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
aquarius
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Post by aquarius »

TerryE wrote:F1 should bring up the online version. Not tooltips but ...
... the userguide busts out, all over your screen, just like JoeEkaitis stated before.

Tooltips would still be nicer.
JoeEkaitis

Post by JoeEkaitis »

aquarius wrote:[ ... the userguide busts out, all over your screen, just like JoeEkaitis stated before.

Tooltips would still be nicer.
Or context-sensitive help. But, hey, can't beat the price.
h1d
Volunteer

Post by h1d »

Oh, don't bring up the price when asking :wink:
That's why Linux desktop doesn't improve... [It's free, so stop asking!] Yeah right... I'd rather give them 5 bucks so they would do something.

And I think Sun is paying to them on behalf of us.