[Solved] Keyboard Issues on Windows 7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Patrick1991

[Solved] Keyboard Issues on Windows 7

Post by Patrick1991 »

Hello,

on my Windows 7 VirtualBox, I cannot use the @-sign and every other key that is accessible by holding "option" on the MacBook Pro keyboard. How do I fix that issue?
Last edited by socratis on 10. Apr 2019, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Keyboard Issues on Windows 7

Post by andyp73 »

I'm going to ask what is probably the dumbest question ever... what does happen when you try to use those keys? Anything? Nothing? The wrong thing?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Patrick1991

Post by Patrick1991 »

Hello,

nothing.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I have a 2017 iMac with a USB magic keyboard. Looking at my Windows 7 VM the € and # didn't display with the default "United Kingdom" keyboard. I ended up downloading Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and a keyboard layout file I found on the internet for a MacBook of some description to which I made a couple more customisations as the magic keyboard is slightly different. This link has links to Apple German, Apple Swedish and Apple UK English layout files.

Keyboard Layout Creator then packages it up and spits out an installer that you can run which gives you the new keyboard as an option under Control Panel -> Region and Language.

On the magic keyboard, the option key used for getting € and # seems to map into Windows as "Alt" but I could never get Keyboard Layout Creator to work with that so in Windows they are mapped using Control+Option on the keyboard.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Patrick1991

Post by Patrick1991 »

Whey! It worked!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hi Andy, that's great research.

Could you possible repeat that in a new topic which I will then move to the Windows Guests tutorials area?

I would suggest a topic title such as "Tutorial: Adding Apple (and other) Keyboard Layouts to Windows".

If you know then it would also be useful to have a guide as to which versions of Windows this applies to. Presumably it's at least from Win7 onwards.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

According to the System Requirements in the page that Andy linked to (emphasis mine):
Supported Operating System

Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2
  • .NET Framework 2.0
Funny thing though, I had never had to do anything close to that....

Andy, can you link to a picture of your physical keyboard layout? Mine looks like the English in Apple support's How to identify keyboard localizations.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The OP seems to be saying that it works with Win7 too, implying that the system requirements info is incomplete on that web page. Probably never updated. It makes sense to me that a data structure for mapping scan codes to key codes shouldn't need to be very different now than it was in 2003.
Patrick1991

Post by Patrick1991 »

Windows 7 here, it works. Could not be happier.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Patrick1991 wrote:Whey! It worked!
Great! Marking this as [Solved].
mpack wrote:Could you possible repeat that in a new topic which I will then move to the Windows Guests tutorials area?
"mpack" asked, "andyp73" obliged... :)
New tutorial located in:

Board index
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.