AltGr key on Italian layout

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
sirus

AltGr key on Italian layout

Post by sirus »

Hi guys,
I'm trying the new version of Virtual Box, version 2.0, under Mac OS X (10.5.4). I have created a virtual machine in order to virtualize Ubuntu 8.04 and it works smoothly. On the other hand I can't find the AltGr key on my MacBook keyboard (Italian layout) and every Internet search I did has reported no valid results. Obviously the problem is the same using other Linux's distributions such as Fedora or Debian.
Unfortunately it seems that Ctrl + Alt combo doesn't work. :(

Have someone experienced the same problem as me?
Thanks for the help!
amagine
Volunteer

Post by amagine »

Hmmm isn't the Left 'Apple' key usually utilized as the AltGr key?

Perhaps try changing the VirtualBox HOST key to another key/combo and see if you can use the Left 'Apple' key as your AltGr key? I seem to remember this working on my macbook pro, but perhaps that was VMWare fusion. *shrug*
sirus

Post by sirus »

amagine wrote:Hmmm isn't the Left 'Apple' key usually utilized as the AltGr key?

Perhaps try changing the VirtualBox HOST key to another key/combo and see if you can use the Left 'Apple' key as your AltGr key? I seem to remember this working on my macbook pro, but perhaps that was VMWare fusion. *shrug*
I've already changed the Host key, under Linux it seems that both left and right Command keys don't work as AltGr key. I've heard something about the right Command key and AltGr key under Windows.

Using VMware Fusion the small Enter key (Apple changed it with another Alt key on newer Mac) beside Arrow keys works as AltGr key.
amagine
Volunteer

Post by amagine »

okay, and I presume you tried using xkeycaps already?
sirus

Post by sirus »

amagine wrote:okay, and I presume you tried using xkeycaps already?
I've not tried yet. I'll try it as soon as possible. ;)
Thanks for the help.
aquarius
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Post by aquarius »

The ubuntu way to make a MacBook(Pro) keyboard work:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBo ... rd%20Fixes
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBo ... %20layouts
(see both of them, regardless of you mac, both could work)

This should work with virtualized installs as well.
(Ubuntu has user friendly system settings and preferences, perhaps under the hood it modifies the keyboard mappings just like xkeycaps)