Complete uninstall problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
secant

Complete uninstall problem

Post by secant »

I have a non administrator account in which Virtualbox was installed successfully on my account. However when I tried to uninstall on the same account using the "Virtualbox_uninstall.tool" which requires my administrator password will not work because I do not allow "user to administrator the account"". So to correct for this I log in as an administrator and uninstall successfully.

However when I went to install Virtualbox 6 I reconized my old config for some reason. How can I completely remove everything related to Virtualbox on my High sierra Mac?
Attachments
virtualbox uninstall2.jpeg
virtualbox uninstall2.jpeg (96.77 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
virtualbox uninstal.jpeg
virtualbox uninstal.jpeg (104.23 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Complete uninstall problem

Post by andyp73 »

Uninstalling VirtualBox the application doesn't delete any guests you may have created in the same way as uninstalling Microsoft Office wouldn't delete all your Word documents.

Your guests and their configuration files all live under /Users/<you>/VirtualBox VMs. You will have to manually delete them if you want them gone.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

secant wrote:I have a non administrator account in which Virtualbox was installed successfully on my account
That is simply not possible! If you did manage to do it, that's a security hole! :shock:

You cannot install VirtualBox without an Admin account, and you can't install VirtualBox on any other location, except "/Applications/VirtualBox". We've been through this already. Care to explain a little bit better what's going on here?
secant wrote:So to correct for this I log in as an administrator and uninstall successfully.
Or you can try the alternative from the Terminal. After you've mounted the "VirtualBox-<version>-<revision>-OSX.DMG", open up a Terminal and switch to an admin account:
$ su <YourAdmin>
Password:
bash-3.2$ sudo /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool
Saves me the logout/login process... ;)
secant wrote:However when I went to install Virtualbox 6 I reconized my old config for some reason.
Not "for some reason", for a very good reason; the uninstall process doesn't remove your Preferences/Settings/Data. How could it? Go through each and every User on your installation and remove their Preferences/Settings/Data? I'm afraid that's a no-go.

You got to remove the files yourself. See ch. 10.1. Where VirtualBox stores its files of the User Manual.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
secant

Post by secant »

Andy.

The directory /Users/<my account>/VirtualBox I removed manually before uninstalling but it still gives the same error message when performing a complete uninstall.
secant

Post by secant »

I have determine the problem. When I searched for virtualbox I found a couple of directories which I could not delete as administrator becuase it was protected by system integrity protection. I do not know how virtualbox was protected by the high sierras SIP protection but this prevented me from deleting and performing a clean install.

To correct the problem I disabled SIP then deleted the 2 directories.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

secant wrote:I found a couple of directories which I could not delete as administrator becuase it was protected by system integrity protection
Names are needed. I've never seen this on 5 (FIVE) OSX hosts that I have access to. Please be as detailed as possible!
secant wrote:To correct the problem I disabled SIP then deleted the 2 directories.
That's the wrong advice I'm afraid. You should never, ever, have to disable SIP in order to (un)install VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
secant

Post by secant »

I agree. I should never have to disable SIP on a Mac to delete virtualbox but I had to disable SIP to delete 2 virtualbox directories. This is clearly some sort of hack.

If you attempt to delete a system fie on a MAC that is protected by SIP you get a message "the file cannot be modified or deleted because it is required by the MacOS" this is how I new virtualbox was some how incorporated with the operating system SIP.

You asked for the name of the files the folder was "virtualbox" with the following files vboxdrv.kext, vboxnetadp.net, vboxnetfit.kext,vboxusb.kext and another folder called vbox2.36.20 PM with files such as selectorwindow1 through 10,VBoxSVC.log through 10 ,virtualbox.xml, xpti.dat and a few jpeg files
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

secant wrote:the following files vboxdrv.kext, vboxnetadp.net, vboxnetfit.kext,vboxusb.kext
Those are the Kernel Extensions (kext) and they *definitely* don't need you to disable SIP.

Every VirtualBox comes in a DMG, "VirtualBox-<version>-<revision>-OSX.dmg". You mount it and just run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool" as a member of the "admin" group. That's all that's needed. No SIP disabling or anything like that, I think you made a mountain out of a molehill! :)
secant wrote:and another folder called vbox2.36.20 PM with files such as selectorwindow1 through 10,VBoxSVC.log through 10 ,virtualbox.xml, xpti.dat and a few jpeg files
Not sure what it was doing, but that sounds like a COPY of the "~/Library/VirtualBox" folder. Again, no way that this thing required SIP to be disabled.

In summary:
SIP does *NOT* need to be disabled in order to uninstall VirtualBox