VirtualBox is crawling with any graphical OS (Windows/Linux)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Razva

VirtualBox is crawling with any graphical OS (Windows/Linux)

Post by Razva »

Hello,

I have a beefy i7, 16 GB RAM, 15 inch 2018 MacBook Pro. I've installed VirtualBox (latest) and Extension Packs (latest).

Doesn't matter how many resources I allocate, all VMs, with any kind of graphical UI, are absolutely crawling. I've made a "demo", you can find it at h ttps:// screencast. com/t/Z5wwjjim (first post so can't post links).

Here's the complete log of a session: h ttps:// gist.github. com/Razva/37d72e418cd121ad7322a86e695e7a56

Is this "the norm"? Any way to improve it?

Thank you,
Razvan
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox is crawling with any graphical OS (Windows/Linux)

Post by socratis »

Razvan, this is *not* cool! I was talking to you live on IRC, solving your problem, and you "forgot" to mention that you were simultaneously posting on the forums? Really?

I have two words for you: not cool...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Razva

Re: VirtualBox is crawling with any graphical OS (Windows/Linux)

Post by Razva »

Asking on IRC and on forums is quite common. In fact, I think that this occasion is the first one on which somebody got offended because of this. We're all different, I guess, so sorry if you got offended.

Anyway, as per our discussion, I've:
  • lowered the resolution to 800x600
  • set 2 CPUs
  • enabled I/O Cache
  • set 200% Global scaling for the guest VM
Unfortunately things are not (way) faster. I'll try with another OS, as Whonix doesn't support current VBox GAs.

Thank you for your support!
Last edited by socratis on 4. Apr 2019, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.