Cancelling Automatic fullscreen mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
efftee

Cancelling Automatic fullscreen mode

Post by efftee »

Dear all,

I've searched in the forum before posting this, and although I did not find an answer to my question, I can hardly beleive it hasn't been previously covered.
So all apologies if this is a duplicate...

I'm trying to stop Virtualbox from going fullscreen automatically when starting a VM.

This is because there seems to be a bug (I'm on MacOs 10.14.3), whereby upon entering fullscreen mode, I end up with two instances of the same machine...

VB goes fullscreen automatically since I clicked on "Don't ask me again...", and can't find where to cancell this option...

Thanks for your help,
Best regards,
efftee
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cancelling Automatic fullscreen mode

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox doesn't automatically take your VM full-screen, you did it, and VirtualBox remembers your choice. Simply take the VM out of full-screen (default Cmd+F) and you should be all set[1].
efftee wrote:This is because there seems to be a bug (I'm on MacOs 10.14.3), whereby upon entering fullscreen mode, I end up with two instances of the same machine...
I'm not sure I follow this. What do you mean "two instances"?

[1]: There is also a manual approach to this, by entering the command that resets the full-screen mode, it's on a per-VM setting:
  • VBoxManage setextradata "<VM>" "GUI/Fullscreen"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GlenK

Post by GlenK »

This bug also happens to me. If you save the state of a running VM that is in full screen (Centos in my case), then when you resume it, it seems to create two views into the same VM. One is a full screen view which has a blank title bar across the top, and it is not responsive to input. The other view is a regular window left on the main desktop. The full screen view doesn't work correctly, but if you take it out of full screen by clicking the green full screen toggle button in the title bar, the view closes and you are left with the remaining regular window. If you then take the regular window full screen, it goes to normal full screen and everything works.
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2019, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Meestor_X
Guest OSses: Windows

Restoring Saved Fullscreen VM shows 2 VMs, 1 that works, 1 that doesn't

Post by Meestor_X »

I am running VB 6.0.14 on a MBP running Mojave. I have the appropriate latest Guest Additions installed on the VM also.
This problem however has been with VB since I started with it a few years ago, across many versions.
I have an external monitor connected to an HDMI dongle on my MBP. I typically run the VM on the 2nd monitor, but this problem happens whether the VM is on the 2nd monitor or not.

I have a Windows 7 and Windows 10 VM, and this problem happens with both.
If I start the VM from it's "Powered Off" state, it opens and runs properly, going full-screen as I had it in when I shut it down previously.
However, if I "Save State" on the VM, when I start it up next time, it opens in a small window (not full screen as I had it running), and then once booted, it goes full-screen, but it's non-responsive to mouse clicks or any input. It's a seemingly "frozen" VM that does nothing. There's also ANOTHER VM open, if I click the VM in the dock, that slides into place and IS functional, BUT it does not have the VB Menu bar that slides in from the top. The "frozen" VM has the menu bar.
To get rid of the non-functional VM, I have to close it by restoring-down and up each of the windows until I have the non-functional one "active" so I can close it.

This issue seems to only happen when the VM is "Saved" while in Full-Screen mode. If I save the VM while it's in a smaller window, when I start it again, it's in the smaller window, responsive with no 2nd "non-responsive" copy.

I am not using Seamless Mode, but I do have "Auto-resize Guest Display" checked.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Meestor_X on 22. Oct 2019, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Meestor_X

Post by Meestor_X »

This bug has been in VB for years. Has there been a bug report filed?
Last edited by Meestor_X on 22. Oct 2019, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Meestor_X wrote:Me as well
Thanks for the pointer, I merged the threads.
Meestor_X wrote:This bug has been in VB for years.
How many? Do you have a rough estimate?
Meestor_X wrote:Has there been a bug report filed?
Not that I know of. Let me try to verify it (or not) and file a bug report...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Meestor_X

Post by Meestor_X »

socratis wrote:
Meestor_X wrote:This bug has been in VB for years.
How many? Do you have a rough estimate?
As long as I've been using VB on my MBP, so at least 2 years.
socratis wrote:
Meestor_X wrote:Has there been a bug report filed?
Not that I know of. Let me try to verify it (or not) and file a bug report...
Thanks. I did a search but could not find anything, but it's hard to figure out what the proper keywords would be!
Meestor_X

Post by Meestor_X »

socratis wrote:
Meestor_X wrote:Me as well
Thanks for the pointer, I merged the threads. 8)
Thank you. Might want to change the thread title too?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Let me try it out first, and I'll think of one... ;)
Meestor_X

Post by Meestor_X »

Any progress?