Transfer Quicken files on to Imac

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Frengineer

Transfer Quicken files on to Imac

Post by Frengineer »

I have Quicken 2004 in my Virtualbox on an Imac.
It is time to replace my Imac but I need to get the latest file out of Virtualbox on to my Imac so that I can copy it on to an XP machine which I intend to buy so as to continue using my Quicken.
Can any one help?

Frengineer
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Transfer Quicken files on to Imac

Post by socratis »

Frengineer wrote:I have Quicken 2004 in my Virtualbox on an Imac.
Actually... you don't. Quicken is an application that needs an OS to run. VirtualBox runs a variety of guest OSes. The missing link is: what's the guest OS that you run in VirtualBox, where Quicken actually runs?

Answer that and we could tell you how to transfer the files to your iMac.

If you are going to buy a new computer, what's that computer? You can't buy WinXP anymore, so, are you looking to buy a new Mac?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Frengineer

Post by Frengineer »

I'm not technical I'm afraid.
My Imac has v/box as an app and when I go into it it gives me an XP computer on which I have Quicken. I hope this makes sense.

Frengineer
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes it does. You have a guest system that's running WinXP, and in there you're running Quicken. Great.

Now, you said that you're going to buy a new computer. What's that computer? Another Mac?

BTW, you sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Frengineer

Post by Frengineer »

I'm not a new user in that I have been using it solely for Quicken 2004 for some years. It is now unsupported but still does all I require just for my own domestic finances, bank accounts and credit cards etc.
I have read what you ask but it is full of jargon, and very difficult for me to understand. I do get the general picture.
The new machine will be another Imac. I have the original Quicken disc which I understand will set me up in an XP situation.
I have very serious doubts about doing this on my own as I am on the wrong side of 80 and the technicalities involved are frightening.

Frengineer
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

You should be able to copy the "VirtualBox VMs" folder (containing all your VMs) to a backup drive (make sure it is formatted as something other than FAT32 otherwise files might get truncated). Copy them to the new iMac, re-install VirtualBox and re-register each VM using "Machine|Add..." in the manager and selecting the .vbox (Machine Definition) file of the VM.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

In short, here's a simplified layout of what you have:
iMac
  +- Home directory
      |- Documents
      |- Music
      |- Pictures
      +- VirtualBox VMs
          +- Windows XP
              +- Quicken
When you get your new iMac and you do a restore from a previous backup or a TimeMachine backup that's where your VMs are going to be.

Follow the registration process that Andy outlined, and you should be all set...
Frengineer

Post by Frengineer »

Many thanks for all that, I will show it to my "helpers". The need for a new Imac is intensyfying!

Frengineer