VirtualBox wants accessibility and microphone permissions on Mac Mojave

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
viskda

VirtualBox wants accessibility and microphone permissions on Mac Mojave

Post by viskda »

I updated my Mac to Mojave (it's a 2017 model), and when I open VirtualBox (version 6.0.4), it pops up two windows:

One says "VirtualBox.app would like to control this computer using accessibility features. Grant access to this application in Security & Privacy preferences, located in System Preferences" with buttons to Open System Preferences or Deny...

* I can't paste inline images here, nor submit imgur URLs yet, and I can't attach the screenshot files saved from Preview of the little windows that popped up because I'm getting error "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB"... cmon admins.

If I click Open System Preferences, it takes me to the Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Accessibility box, showing VirtualBox.app unchecked... whatever that means.

I can't tell what it means for it to be checked... but I click Deny, then get a pop-up asking for microphone permission...

Why?!??! I clicked Don't Allow because I don't know why it wants it nor what it will do with things the microphone pics up (nor when it will do that). There's just not enough information here.

Why so shady?!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox wants accessibility and microphone permissions on Mac Mojave

Post by socratis »

viskda wrote:I updated my Mac to Mojave
And that's when all the added "security"/"scareware" features of OSX kicked in. Until then you were just fine. Everybody was just fine...
viskda wrote:I can't paste inline images here nor submit imgur URLs yet
Spam prevention measure, quite effective actually.
viskda wrote:I can't attach the screenshot files saved from Preview of the little windows that popped up because I'm getting error "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB"... cmon admins.
Cmon admins? You seriously can't take down a HiDPI image from 144 DPI to normal 72 DPI and/or reduce its size? It's a single dialog in Preview.app, *and* it gives you the estimated size of the final image actually. Plus we know what it looks like... ;)
viskda wrote:showing VirtualBox.app unchecked... whatever that means.
Not enabled. Not having access.
viskda wrote:I clicked Don't Allow because I don't know why it wants it nor what it will do with things the microphone pics up
Report you to Stazi. Oh wait... they closed shop! Oops... ;)

What it does is that it gives sound access to your VMs. You VMs need sound input/output, VirtualBox obliges. Therefore access to the microphone and your speakers can be had. If you don't want that, you can simply disable the sound in the VM Settings.
viskda wrote:There's just not enough information here.
An application needs access to the microphone. What more information are you looking for exactly? And from who? You're looking at the OSX System Preferences, aren't you?
viskda wrote:Why so shady?!
There's nothing shady or lack of transparency here. Your VMs need sound input. Do you want to allow that or not? I don't think it's such a difficult of a concept.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.