Cannot use VMWare fusion image disks with VB 2.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Xtoff

Cannot use VMWare fusion image disks with VB 2.0

Post by Xtoff »

Hi,

I try to add VMWare fusion 2.0rc1 image disks into VirtualBox 2.0 (Mac OS X 10.5). I always get the following error: 'Cannot recognize the format of the custom hard disk' '(VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)' 'NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)'. My image disks are with Windows Vista.
I get the same for Parallels Desktop 3.0 images.
Any advice?

Kind regards,

Christophe
tkwm
Volunteer

VMWare fusion 2.0rc1 image disks

Post by tkwm »

Right click or CTRL-Click the diskimage, select show packet-content (?) (in german it's Paketinhalt anzeigen) locate the vmdk-file and then throw it out the packet or copy it holding the alt-key while throwing it out the packet. Select this vmdk-file as existing diskimage in virtualbox.
gillesb14

Similar problem

Post by gillesb14 »

I copied the .vmdk file but I get a FATAL No bootable medium found! system halted...
:cry:
Xtoff

Re: VMWare fusion 2.0rc1 image disks

Post by Xtoff »

tkwm wrote:Right click or CTRL-Click the diskimage, select show packet-content (?) (in german it's Paketinhalt anzeigen) locate the vmdk-file and then throw it out the packet or copy it holding the alt-key while throwing it out the packet. Select this vmdk-file as existing diskimage in virtualbox.
Thanks, but in fact my winvista.vmdk file is splitted into 16 pieces (from winvista-s001.vmdk to winvista-s016.vmdk) of 2Go each. Is this a pb?

Cheers,

Xtoff
tkwm
Volunteer

Ooops

Post by tkwm »

Sorry, but this worked for me with W2K. I converted my parallels-hdd-file with vmware-importer and extracted the vmdk-file with the described method. Maybe someone else has further hints.
@xtoff, sounds as if you are using a fat32-formated-disk/partition, and there is the maximal filesize 2GB. Try to repeat the conversion/extraction on a mac-hfs-formated disk/partition.
@gillesb14, as far I remember (but maybe I'm wrong!) you can solve this with changing some of the properties of the virtual-machine. Or your boot.ini points to a wrong partition. To solve this use an image or a real disc that allows you to access your ntfs-formated virtual-disc. You can do this with your windows setup-disc, with an ERD-disc or with a knoppix-linuxlive-disc. You will have to change the virtualmachine-properties so that it starts from the cd or the image of the cd.
My boot.ini says:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Good luck!
Phobos
Volunteer

Re: VMWare fusion 2.0rc1 image disks

Post by Phobos »

Xtoff wrote:in fact my winvista.vmdk file is splitted into 16 pieces (from winvista-s001.vmdk to winvista-s016.vmdk) of 2Go each. Is this a pb?
yes, that might be your problem... join them in a single vmdk and try again
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Sorry Phobos, but on this occasion it isn't the problem. Fusion introduced a new format for VMDKs. Same extension; different layout. VBox only supports the older format used by VMserver version 1, etc.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
Phobos
Volunteer

Post by Phobos »

thanks for the correction, that's good to know