Unable to view left side box of virtual machines

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ashleigh

Unable to view left side box of virtual machines

Post by ashleigh »

I accidentally dragged the bar between the two boxes and and now the box on the left is not visible. I am unable to view the list of my virtual machines to change the settings on another VM. How do I get this side bar back?
Attachments
This is the view I have in virtual box. As you can see, there is no way to view the list of my VMs, of which I have 3.
This is the view I have in virtual box. As you can see, there is no way to view the list of my VMs, of which I have 3.
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 10.18.37 PM.png (109.3 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
I'm no longer able to see the box on the left which is supposed to contain the list of all my virtual machines. This is a representative image.
I'm no longer able to see the box on the left which is supposed to contain the list of all my virtual machines. This is a representative image.
How-to-uninstall-VirtualBox-on-Mac-osxuninstaller-6.png (98.34 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
Last edited by ashleigh on 4. Mar 2019, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.
ashleigh

Re: Unable to view left side box of virtual machines

Post by ashleigh »

My view right now. I have tried every possible menu option to get the left sided box back.
Last edited by ashleigh on 4. Mar 2019, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ashleigh wrote:and now the box on the left is not visible
Yes it is, I see it right there, the blank space on the left half...
ashleigh wrote:I am unable to view the list of my virtual machines
Because you have... none? I don't see any VMs.
ashleigh wrote:to change the settings on another device
What do you mean "on another device". VirtualBox settings and list of VMs are on a per-user basis. If you created/added and registered the VMs as a different user, you will end up with this situation; no VMs in the current user. People often tend to launch VirtualBox Manager and/or the VMs as an admin, because they believe that they have more "powers". Not with VirtualBox.
ashleigh wrote:How do I get this side bar back?
Find, ZIP and post the file "/Users/<you>/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml".

Moving to "OSX Hosts" from "OSX Guests", I don't see a guest problem in your description...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ashleigh

Post by ashleigh »

I selected an example image to demonstrate what is no longer visible. That is an image from google. I have 3 virtual machines. I want to change the settings on another virtual machine. I am only able to access one of 3 right now because I am unable to view the list of all my virtual machines. All of which were created on the only user on my computer.
ashleigh

Post by ashleigh »

socratis wrote:Yes it is, I see it right there, the blank space on the left half...
That is a representative image from google.
socratis wrote:Because you have... none? I don't see any VMs.
I have 3. You are correct that in the representative image from google there are no VMs.
socratis wrote:What do you mean "on another device". VirtualBox settings and list of VMs are on a per-user basis. If you created/added and registered the VMs as a different user, you will end up with this situation; no VMs in the current user. People often tend to launch VirtualBox Manager and/or the VMs as an admin, because they believe that they have more "powers". Not with VirtualBox.
I want to change the settings on another VM. Because the list of VMs is not visible I am unable to change the settings on other VMs. Only the one that is currently visible.

Everything that I do on this computer is on the same user. Everything.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

ashleigh wrote:That is a representative image from google.
Representative images from elsewhere are not a great deal of help. What we need are actual hard facts from your machine. The most important of which, right now, is the file that Socratis asked you to provide and which you seem to have ignored.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
ashleigh

Post by ashleigh »

Good god I am working on it. Sorry I can't work fast enough for you. Not sure why every one here is so rude. Please also see the image I posted of my virtual box. I will post again while I am working on finding the file he asked for.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 10.18.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 10.18.37 PM.png (109.3 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Last edited by ashleigh on 4. Mar 2019, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
ashleigh

Post by ashleigh »

Here is the file you asked for.
Attachments
VirtualBox.xml.zip
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ashleigh wrote:Not sure why every one here is so rude.
What in the seven kingdoms are you talking about!?! Where exactly is the "rude" part?!? You should adjust your sensitiv-o-meter...

Anyway, moving on...
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SplitterSizes" value="0,624"/>
You have the same problem as in thread Hidden Menu on VirtualBox Manager. What is this thing today, is it the I-decided-to-hide-my-VMs day? :) :shock:

Close VirtualBox, make sure that no VBox* or VirtualBox* processes are running. Open up a Terminal and enter the command:
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata global "GUI/SplitterSizes"
Re-open VirtualBox.

Or grab the horizontal splitter bar currently stuck all the way to the left and drag it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just noticed that you actually reported ( :shock: ) my first reply where I was asking for your details as:
ashleigh wrote:Antagonistic and does not provide any help
Antagonistic? No help? :roll:

And then when Andy replied to you you called him "rude" ( :shock: ):
socratis wrote:Not sure why every one here is so rude.
Keep it like that, and the next time you're going to ask for help, i'm going to be looking at your fellow users (that are volunteering their time to come to your aid), with a binocular...

When people are trying to help you you don't "report" them and you don't "call them names"! I wouldn't like to see the same attitude in the future in the forums, do we have a clear understanding "ashleigh"??? I hope so...

And since the problem seems to be resolved (we would have heard from you otherwise), and since I have a feeling that you might feel the urge to re-edit your posts, I'm going to lock this. Send me a PM if you want it re-opened, explaining why...