VirtualBox aborts when I power off VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
BigPopper

VirtualBox aborts when I power off VM

Post by BigPopper »

I'm running OS X Mohave (10.14.3) on a 16GB Macbook Pro (Intel Core i7), and using the latest Version of VirtualBox (6.0.4). I have a Windows 8.1 VM that has been working just fine for several years, but I recently installed a Windows XP (sp3) and a Centos7 VM. Both have 2GB of RAM and are both Bridged Network, 1 core. Both VMs run great when they run, but when I power them down, I see a quick "power off" message, then VirtualBox aborts. Then I get a message that VB closed unexpectedly, ignore, report, or reopen? The next time I load VBox, the machines seem fine - no damage or corruption. But it aborts 100% of the time I power off the machines, while my 8.1 machine is just fine. I've experimented with various video settings, but nothing changes. It seems like if this were a bug, it would be reported already - so I'm convinced it's something I've done wrong, but I've tried so many settings, I don't know what else to try. Any ideas?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox aborts when I power off VM

Post by socratis »

Moving to "OSX Hosts" from "Using VirtualBox".
I'm pretty sure that this sounds awfully familiar, but a 30" search didn't find anything. Maybe it was in the bugtracker(?), I'll keep on looking...

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Try to close the VM.
  • With the VM and VirtualBox aborted, relaunch VirtualBox, right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

Also, I need to see the output of the following command in the Terminal:
  • kextstat | grep -v com.apple
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.