Windows 10 slow performance

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
HF

Re: Windows 10 slow performance

Post by HF »

I wasn't the original poster so I don't know how he got two mice etc.

VBox is markedly slower for me than it was a few months ago, but I can't be sure its not changes for Spectre or our corporate antivirus (McAfee) software.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

:evil:
That's what happens when a user is jumping in the middle of another user's thread, and I don't pay attention to the poster's nickname...
HF wrote:but I can't be sure its not changes for Spectre or our corporate antivirus (McAfee) software.
That's easy. Uninstall McAfee, or tell it to stay away from all things VirtualBox-related, including your VMs. They are becoming "smarter" these days and the decide to scan even the virtual hard drives. :roll:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
HF

Post by HF »

Unfortunately, ts not so easy to tell since many companies do not permit you to uninstall AV on their machines. I can run VBox on a personal machine without McAfee to see the difference.
Trejvis

Post by Trejvis »

socratis wrote:Good, but I would like you to address/answer some of the other issues/questions as well:
  1. What's the "Windousek" mounted volume? An external drive? A USB one perhaps? If so, USB2 or 3?
  2. Did you change the Scale Factor to 200%?
  3. Did you enable 2D/3D acceleration?
  4. Did you change the paravirtualization option?
  5. Did you take the guest off Full-Screen?
  6. Can you explain the two mice?
1) That's one of my external HDD partition formated for windows.
2) Yes and I noticed worse performance than before on small window with windows running.
3) Yes
4) Not yet
5) Yes but the performance is the same even when I'm not using full screen.
6) Eehh I don't know :D I use only macbook's trackpad.

Well the performance itself is pretty good when i have 100% scaling, but I notice microlags (chops) once every few seconds, but in time between the chops it looks pretty smooth. But The window is so small that covers barely 1/4 of my screen (1680x1050). When I open Task manager on windows, CPU and RAM idle, but HDD is at 100%. That's strange because I measured speeds around 95 MB/S in Blackmagic disc speed test. I think this is enough to run windows. But calculating mouse trajectory isn't done by HDD... That's why I am confused. Why is the mouse chopping once every few seconds and then it runs smooth? That is the question :/ :?
GruNeedsAdvice

Post by GruNeedsAdvice »

I have a similar problem and with my best attempt to follow the previously described steps, still can't make my guest Windows work nicely.

To give a bit of context, I'm trying to play HOMM3 with its HD extension - nostalgie. Mouse pointer moves are jerky, the game launches but it takes forever to click any other button in the game. Windows itself blacks out the screen once in a while and I have to move the mouse to uncover the screen again. Can't even turn off the VM properly because of the challenge to click the power button.

Host: MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 on MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) with 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 and 8GB RAM
Guest: Windows 10 Home. Please find attached the log.

I REALLY would appreciate your help.
Attachments
VBox.log
(105.3 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox guests are not strong on playing games. You would do better to dual-boot your Mac.
GruNeedsAdvice

Post by GruNeedsAdvice »

scottgus1 wrote:Virtualbox guests are not strong on playing games. You would do better to dual-boot your Mac.
Yepp, and I would definitely do that if it were not just one 20+ year old game once in a while.