VBox 2.0: "Native" interface is anything but

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
diamondsw

VBox 2.0: "Native" interface is anything but

Post by diamondsw »

Don't believe the bits about a "native" interface - it's anything but, and shows. Looking inside the application bundle, QT is still sitting there. Even besides that, a lot of the little details are not up to Mac interface standards for fit and finish (menu structure is spartan at best - complete with single-item menus and blank items, main settings window lacks polish in its layout, icons are decidedly not Mac-like, toolbar "text" appears to be part of the icon, etc, etc). This feels like a half-finished beta of an interface, and it's outright lying to call this "Native" in any form.

Furthermore, it doesn't help that moving the application anywhere but "/Applications" results in it failing to launch completely. The console just gets messages like:

Code: Select all

9/4/08 11:26:23 AM [0x0-0x6f46f4].org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBoxVM[12841] com.apple.console VirtualBox: supR3HardenedVerifyDir: Failed to open "/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS": No such file or directory (2) 
Whatever "supR3HardenedVerifyDir" is, it needs to loosen up. Like many others I suspect, I have far too many applications to just dump them all in one big folder.

Who knows about its virtualization tech, since I won't get far enough to use it.
Asuraku

Post by Asuraku »

I updates and now nothing runs. I saw the OS selector once, and all my stuff was still listed, but when I start up something it dies on me. and since then, opening up VB just sends the app into 'not responding' mode. And whats with the 20mb+ log files? It doesn't even run!

Cleared everything out via the uninstall tool and I'm also getting an error:

Code: Select all

Assertion failed at '/Users/test/coding/vbox/osx-rel/src/VBox/Main/VirtualBoxImpl.cpp' (1915) in virtual nsresult VirtualBox::GetExtraData(const PRUnichar*, PRUnichar**).
Unexpected exception 'N8settings12EIPRTFailureE' (<NULL>)
Please contact the product vendor!.

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
VirtualBox
Interface: 
IVirtualBox {557a07bc-e6ae-4520-a361-4a8493199137}
stv_hunt

UI is working much better for me now

Post by stv_hunt »

I tried with perhaps 1.6.2 or 1.6.4 to use full screen mode, which worked fine. But I could not turn it off again without shutting down the guest OS. Perhaps I missed something obvious, but now with 2.0.0 - it is working very nicely.

Also, thanks for the Host Networking option. Finally I can do all that I want with this software without needing to buy a nettop or any other additional machine.

Thanks heaps - I love it!!!!!!