[Resolved] MacBook Pro macOS Mojave Performance Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
TheOmen

[Resolved] MacBook Pro macOS Mojave Performance Issues

Post by TheOmen »

Trying to run Kali Linux on my 13 inch MacBook Pro, but the performance is terrible. I have tried adjusting the settings, but can't seem to find a solution. It is so slow that it is missing key presses when typing making it incredibly difficult to work with.

I have attached my log (compressed due to size limitations). Hoping someone can help.

Thanks
Attachments
Kali-Linux-2018.4-vbox-amd64-2019-01-30-20-43-01.log.zip
(32.03 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Last edited by socratis on 5. Feb 2019, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: MacBook Pro macOS Mojave Performance Issues

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.268444 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000002 (2)
00:00:03.489512 CPUM: Physical host cores: 2
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads).
00:00:02.990861 DMI Product Name: MacBookPro14,2
00:00:03.183410 GUI: UIMachineLogicFullscreen::sltHandleNativeFullscreenWillEnter: Machine-window #0 will enter native fullscreen
00:00:03.258188 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 650
Your MBPr is using the integrated Intel Iris 650, which uses shared memory, not dedicated VRAM. Couple that with the full-screen mode, and the fact that you gave all your CPUs to your guest, and well... bad performance it's expected.

Lower the CPUs assigned to your guest, get out of full-screen mode and see if it works better.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TheOmen

Post by TheOmen »

Thank you for such a quick reply.

After your suggestions it works much better. Good to know about the difference between physical cores and logical ones - didn't realise that before. Shame I can't run full screen as it is a little harder to work in a small window, but it is certainly better than the laggy mess I had before.

Many thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It's a virtual machine, not a real one. It is expected to run at a lower level compared to the real thing.
Glad I could help, marking this as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.