startup error on mac

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
benichols

startup error on mac

Post by benichols »

Hello,
I have tried Virtualbox from 1.6 until today's 2.0. In all of them when I try to startup, it errors out with a window that says "Failed to initialize COM or to find the VirtualBox COM server." It then give a box below with "Callee RC NS_Error_Failure 0x80004005"
I am running a MacBook 10.5.4. I've also tried it on my Mac Mini also running 10.5.4. Isn't anyone else having this same problem? Does anyone have a fix?
Thanks!
Brian
FF44

Post by FF44 »

So do I have a MB with 10.5.4, I released 2.0 from 1.6.4, but 2.0 refused to launch from an Applications subfolder location, as did my first version. So I moved it in Applications folder, then it launched correctly. I have Windows Vista Ultimate as guest OS, which works nice, after installing the 2.0 Windows additions.
Connexion wifi with the iMac works nice, shared folders, and so on.
But I never succeed to mount my USB devices on the guest desktop :(
benichols

virtualbox on mac

Post by benichols »

I have not moved the Virtualbox application from its default installation location inside the Applications folder. Repeated attempts at uninstall and reinstall have resulted in the same error.
benichols

virtualbox on mac

Post by benichols »

I just installed virtualbox on my mac mini successfully! So does anyone know if there is something unique about the MacBook (ie integrated video card) that makes it incompatible with virtualbox?
aquarius
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Post by aquarius »

FF44 wrote: But I never succeed to mount my USB devices on the guest desktop :(
Your USB devices are likely to be "grabbed" by your Mac OS.
Use the "eject" button in finder or unmount them using trash/eject.
But leave them plugged in.
Then you should be able to mount them to your guest by defining an auto-filter.
Easiest way is: click the usb symbol in the bottom of the machine window, find the device in the pop-up list and select it.

Good Luck
amagine
Volunteer

Post by amagine »

benichols

This is a just a stab, however, it may be possible that there is an error in your VirtualMachine configuration file yourvm.XML.

Something you can try, that is non-destructive:

Start VirtualBox Manager GUI, and take close note of the SETTINGS of your GUEST OS virtual machine. **Especially Note if you have ACPI Enabled or Disabled

In your VirtualMachine SETTINGS goto STORAGE, Hard Disks and RELEASE/REMOVE the yourguestos.VDI from your VirtualMachine.

Now,

Create a New VirtualMachine with settings that match your old VirtualMachine settings making sure you match the ACPI Enabled or Disabled Settings.

Use the Original Existing yourguestos.VDI as your hard drive.

Now try to boot.

IF this does not work,
Try the ACPI setting the other way.

IF/ELSE this does not work,
Try moving/cloning the virtual hard drive over to your Mac Mini and repeat set up of VirtualMachine above on MacMini. If this works, VDI is fine, if not... there may very well be a problem with the VDI disk but don't toast it just yet...

IF/Also try:
Move all the files from the default location of:

Code: Select all

$HOME/Library/VirtualBox
EXCEPT your VDI folder to another location like the DESKTOP.

use the UNINSTALL SCRIPT found in VirtualBox version 2.0

Re-install VirtualBox version 2.0

Create a NEW VirtualMachine with the original existing yourguestos.VDI (once again minding the ACPI setting) and try booting into the Guest OS.

All this fails, try installing a fresh OS. Try something quick and small like Linux Mint or FreeDOS.

** Just some ideas to try incase an XML file is mussed up somewhere **
aquarius
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Re: virtualbox on mac

Post by aquarius »

Hi benichols,

just in case the good advice from amagine does'nt help ...
benichols wrote:I just installed virtualbox on my mac mini successfully! So does anyone know if there is something unique about the MacBook (ie integrated video card) that makes it incompatible with virtualbox?

IMHO the difference is that on the mini it was your first install, and all went fine. On the MacBook I guess that there is some nasty left-over from one of your early (re-)installation attempts. (At least I faintly recall one of the early 1.6.x versions causing troubles like that ...)

So here is another thing that might help ...

On OS X VirtualBox installs at least one StartupItem in global library folder:
/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox
and puts some config files in the installing user's library folder:
/Users/<installing_user>/Library/VirtualBox

After uninstalling, search for those folders and delete them (not just what's inside) manually if necessary. (Did you try to install using several accounts? Then clean their libraries as well.)

Now reboot, before reinstalling (to be shure nothing keeps running from the left-over installation).

Note that you will lose all your VM Settings but you could note them down and recreate like amagine suggested. No need to delete valuable .vdi virtual disks. You could try to re-register them again later.

Good Luck,

aquarius
FF44

Post by FF44 »

aquarius wrote:
FF44 wrote: But I never succeed to mount my USB devices on the guest desktop :(
Your USB devices are likely to be "grabbed" by your Mac OS.
Use the "eject" button in finder or unmount them using trash/eject.
But leave them plugged in.
Then you should be able to mount them to your guest by defining an auto-filter.
Easiest way is: click the usb symbol in the bottom of the machine window, find the device in the pop-up list and select it.

Good Luck
Thanks a lot : it does work ! :wink:
benichols

virtualbox on mac

Post by benichols »

thanks for all the suggestions!
@amagine: I can't even get virtualbox (the application) to start up so I really don't have the ability to modify any virtualbox prefs.
@aquarius: Great suggestions. I made a new user and can successfully open virtualbox. However, I've searched for the files you mention plus more (even in invisible directories) and can't figure out what file is lingering in my user account to prevent startup. I'd really prefer not to have an entirely new user account just for virtualbox. Any other ideas on what file(s) might have been installed that I can delete that would prevent the startup error above?
Thanks!
amagine
Volunteer

Post by amagine »

In your HOME folder as I suggested:

$HOME/Library/VirtualBox/...

There will be the following FILES:

VirtualBox.xml
xpti.dat
compreg.dat

There will be the following FOLDERS:

VDI
Machines

DELETE EVERYTHING but the VDI folder.

In YOUR HOME FOLDER

$HOME/Library/Preferences/...

DELETE the following -->

org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBox.plist
org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBoxVM.plist

After you delete these files:

Re-install VirtualBox version 2.0

Create a NEW VirtualMachine with the original existing yourguestos.VDI (once again minding the ACPI setting) and try booting into the Guest OS.
benichols

virtualbox on mac

Post by benichols »

@amagine

None of those files or folders were created upon installation under my primary user account. However, in my "test" account, those files were created. I copied the Library/VirtualBox folder from my test account to my primary account and it now seems to work! Not sure what the block was on my primary user account, but it appears to startup fine now! I'll try to install a guest OS next. Thanks again!
amagine
Volunteer

Post by amagine »

None of those files or folders were created upon installation under my primary user account
ahh very curious indeed!

This is really strange that the VirtualBox installer failed.

Hmmm, It may not hurt to run a Permissions Repair on OS X, and verify your hard disk.

Glad to hear your VBox is up and working now.
benichols

virtual box on mac

Post by benichols »

I run permissions repair (actually a full onyx automation) at least every month so I don't think this is the issue. Obviously, there's something funky about my user account but probably not worth spending alot of time worrying about since it works now! Thanks again!