VirtualBox 6.0.4 running on Mac OS X El Capitan?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
level42

VirtualBox 6.0.4 running on Mac OS X El Capitan?

Post by level42 »

Hi all,
I have a MacBook Pro mid 2009 17" running El Capitan.
I've been running VB successfully with a wide variety of guest OS's for years.
Now, I did the last VB 6.0.4 update (from VB 5.2.12 to 6.0.4) as usual. I had not checked the Docu whether El Capitan is still belongs to the supported Mac Host operating systems, before I did the update... So any of my guest OS's (Solaris 10, Linux) run for about a week without problems.
Now my questions: Why does not count El Capitan to the supported Mac host operating systems? Should I have to go back to the VB 5.2.X line?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox 6.0.4 running on Mac OS X El Capitan?

Post by socratis »

Not supported means it's not actively tested and if a problem occurs, you're not going to get the highest level of attention. It doesn't mean that they'll actively try to break it, if they can avoid it.

Having said that, I'm on 10.11.6 as well with no issues. I also have a 10.9.5 system that runs with no issues.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
level42

Post by level42 »

Thanks Socratis for your replay.
In the meantime went back to version 5.2.26 r128414, but think about whether I should switch to version 2.
FritzS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, BSD

Post by FritzS »

Strange, I have here a MacBook Pro 5.1 late 2008 with ElCapitan 10.11.6 (15G22010), NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD.
VitualBox 6.0.4 with current OS extensions is installed on it - the VMs (LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.1 and Windows 10 Pro 64) runing well!
Nice greetings
Fritz
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Fritz, not "strange" at all...
  • As I said, I have one with 10.9.5 where 6.0.x versions are still running fine.
  • And there are people that are still using WinXP as their host for 6.0.x.
  • And there are people that are using 32-bit Windows as their host for 6.0.x, including myself.
All of these are running fine, but it you ever hit a bug, nobody it going to seriously care/bother/lose sleep, unless you can reproduce it in a supported host. I hope you understand the difference... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FritzS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, BSD

Post by FritzS »

Opps, I had overseen 32 bit .....
Nice greetings
Fritz