Can't get any free leopard dmg/iso OX to work on mbookpro

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Can't get any free leopard dmg/iso OX to work on mbookpro

Post by Martin »

Looks ok this way.
Somehow you were using 'smart' opening “ and closing ” double quotes in your first try instead of the 'standard straight' quotes ".
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Which part of my advice was difficult to follow? The copy part or the paste part?
socratis wrote:I gave you the exact command. Just copy it from your browser and paste it in the Terminal.
But, in all fairness, it seems that OSX is trying to "help" you out and it's screwing you along the way. Go to OSX System Preferences » Keyboard » Text, and disable all auto corrections, and uncheck the "Use smart quotes and dashes".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
arniec

Post by arniec »

Thanks did that. Terminator line appears to be processing correctly, unless I should see a confirmation line after entering it. Also, isn't a VM disk of 70 gigs big enough? Could it be I made the vm too small?
Somehow I can't see the leopard dmg expanding that large to install.

I do get the apple install visual on top of the leopard background and thats where it tells me I can't install ox to this machine.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

arniec wrote:Terminator line appears to be processing correctly, unless I should see a confirmation line after entering it
Nope, you shouldn't. You would only see an error, not a "Good job!" message. BTW, it's "Terminal". The other one is a movie... ;)
arniec wrote:Also, isn't a VM disk of 70 gigs big enough?
More than enough. That wasn't the suggestion, right? Because the default for 10.6 calls for 20 GB. Depending on your needs, of course, but 70 GB seems more than enough.
arniec wrote:Somehow I can't see the leopard dmg expanding that large to install.
No, it won't. It will most probably occupy something like 9 GB for a standard 10.6 installation. The rest is for your application and your data.
arniec wrote:I do get the apple install visual on top of the leopard background and thats where it tells me I can't install ox to this machine.
Can you grab a screenshot of that and attach it here?

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
arniec

Post by arniec »

Thanks Socratis, here's the screens. Terminator, heh yea. Saw that while I was typing and thought what the hell, he knows what I mean.
macoxready.jpeg
macoxready.jpeg (120.47 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Attachments
oxcant.jpeg
oxcant.jpeg (112.42 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Right-click on the VM in VirtualBox Manager, Show in Finder. Compress the selected "snowlep4.vbox" file and attach it to your reply.
arniec

Post by arniec »

Reading many threads on this forum sites as well as others, I've seen a continued topic of VB not seeing the vitual HD that VB creates and many instructions say to find what VB created, use disk utility to find that virtual drive, erase it and mac recreates it formatted and then it shows up as a drive the OX can see and install the OSx to. I'm thinking this is the issue with my install. The mac installer doesn't see any partition to install to. As usual with engineer written programs, the apple installer doesn't bother to tell you anything. And I don't believe it makes a log in this virtual situation. VB log would not show the mac installers errors. The installer thinks it's installing to a hard drive as usual. Most of the threads were pre 2016, so it's possible VB has improved on this issue.

Unfortunately, I'm not fluent in apple and have been unable to properly create a stand alone virtual 'image'? drive for VB to use. And the VB created vhd doesn't show up in mac disk utility to do what is suggested. Or I don't know how to make it show up.

These thread suggestions were almost completely about legal purchased OSX people were trying to use. Regardless to what I have, the install doesn't get far enough to invalidate the file I'm attempting to use.
So far, I think it's been a user error on my part.
arniec

Post by arniec »

Right-click on the VM in VirtualBox Manager, Show in Finder. Compress the selected "snowlep4.vbox" file and attach it to your reply.
Will do this tomorrow.
Now this is becoming more of a challenge than a need.
At this time, I think the only snow leopard left to purchase on apple is the 10.6.* version. I don't think 10.5.* is available any more. Not entirely sure however.
arniec

Post by arniec »

@socratis
Enclosed vbx zip file.
Attachments
snowlep4.vbox.zip
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

<HardDisk uuid="{04cd81d7-49b1-411e-be00-7506071bb481}" location="snowlep4.vhd" format="VHD" type="Normal"/>
Why a VHD? Why did you deviate from the template?
<CPU>
This is NOT what I was expecting to see. I was expecting to see:
<CPU CpuProfile="Intel Core i7-6700K">
if you followed the instructions and issued the command that I gave you.

I noticed that the VM name is now "snowlep4" instead of "snowlep3". You realize that if you change the name of the VM, then the command has to change as well?
  • VBoxManage modifyvm "snowlep4" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"
With the VM shutdown, enter the above command in the Terminal and try again please...
arniec

Post by arniec »

@socratis:
Why a VHD? Why did you deviate from the template?
Because I thought a vhd would be advantageous in my situation than a dynamic image drive that this forum has mentioned isn't that dependable.
Did/does it make a difference with installations?
This is NOT what I was expecting to see. I was expecting to see:
VBoxManage modifyvm "snowlep4" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"
And that is exactly what I enter in the terminal. With the new name. And the enter process ends back to the cursor as it had started. No load comments, no errors. No 'good job'.
Perhaps I'm supposed to still have the VB itself running, but that particular vm off? I have been doing the term with the VB totally exited. I may have just answered my own question.

EDIT: I did the term correctly, the new lep4vhd file shows the intel core i7-6700k in the hardware section.
The install stops at the mac can not install to this computer.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

arniec wrote:Because I thought a vhd would be advantageous in my situation than a dynamic image drive that this forum has mentioned isn't that dependable.
What on earth are you talking about?!?! That doesn't make sense at ALL! VHD is definitely less dependable compared to a VDI. And VDI not being dependable? I have tens and tens of them, never an issue. So do millions of users out there.

Here's the thing. Start from scratch. Do not change a single thing from the recipe, OK. Follow these steps:
  • Create a new VM. Name: socratis, Type: OSX, Version: 10.6 (64-bit).
  • Click on next, next, next, etc... Do not change anything, accept all the defaults.
  • Once the VM is created, open a Terminal and issue the command:
    • VBoxManage modifyvm "socratis" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"
  • Start the VM, it will ask you for a medium. Select your ISO/DMG and let it continue.
arniec

Post by arniec »

@socartis: Did exact and copy pasted to term, term looked proper. VDI was properly created.
Failed at same place on mac screen.
However last lines of text before mac install screen show a CST evaluation failed and LPC device failed for what it's worth. Those lines have always been there from the beginning of trying this guest install.

The install screen begins the 'preparing installation and scrolling graphic line animation, then outs to the error window.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

arniec wrote:Failed at same place on mac screen.
You need to buy the official one. No more fooling around with whatever it is that you're trying. We've both lost a lot of time on what should have been a 10' job.

We're done here.
arniec

Post by arniec »

I guess so.
thanks for all your effort and time.
Perhaps someone else may have learned something with your suggestions.

I may be totally stymied as version leopard 10.6.* may not even support rosetta. I'm very sure version 10.5 would have been correct in that.