Can't get any free leopard dmg/iso OX to work on mbookpro

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't get any free leopard dmg/iso OX to work on mbookpro

Post by socratis »

arniec wrote:Perhaps someone else may have learned something with your suggestions.
Yes. And I learned something too; to not deal with bootleg media, only the original ones. Had we stopped this conversation when I realized that you were downloading this from a 3rd party, we would have saved a lot of time, headache and hair pulling.

BTW, out of curiosity I downloaded what you downloaded (just finished actually), and I tried it. I got the same error "Can't install on this Mac". Not a problem at all with the official 10.6 though...
arniec wrote:I may be totally stymied as version leopard 10.6.* may not even support rosetta
10.6 *definitely* supports Rosetta! It's an option during the installation. You have to choose "Customize" and Rosetta is right there as an option...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
arniec

Post by arniec »

Code: Select all

You need to buy the official one. No more fooling around with whatever it is that you're trying. We've both lost a lot of time on what should have been a 10' job.
To probably really finalize this endeavor. From your post in 2014 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=61825

It shows that VB version 4.3.0 - 4.3.6 will support a unsupported leopard 10.5. However nothing below VB vr 5.5 will actually install on my mid 2012 mac book pro in the first place. Unsupported kext files and such.
So, going the older VB version route is not going to work at all.

And the newest VB versions won't even list 10.5 in the selection list. I could not find a matching ox in that list except 10.6. which will not work for my needs.
I assume that those parameters have to match regardless of their origin. Unless of course, VB itself is invalidating non conforming software. Which is VB's prerogative and right but if that were the case, I wish they would display that.

So, I'm hosed with VB. Period.

Thanks for everything you did.

Okay your post just popped up. I'll keep it in mind about 10.6 and I never could get to the customize part because that would appear later in the first sections of the install phase. Looks like ox 10.6 leopard may be still available officially.
thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

This is the last post on this thread, just to clarify that the thread you linked is rather old. As I told you I tested it with my 2015 MBP running VirtualBox 6.0.4 and the official 10.6 media. It worked (almost) right out of the box.

I should have locked this thread long time ago, when it was clear you were dealing with bootleg media. Mea culpa. Locking it now. Get the official media and if you have problems, you open a new thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.