Newbie Screen Resolution Question

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
wolfganghu

Newbie Screen Resolution Question

Post by wolfganghu »

I have just installed Virtualbox 2.0.0 on my Mac and tried to set up a VM that runs Ubuntu 8.04 as a live CD.

everything works ok, except that I don't know how to change the default screen resolution. The default is 800x600 and I couldn't figure out a way to change it - there are no settings that I could change except the Video RAM assigned to the machine. Even if I set that to 128MB the VM still wont show a better resolution than 800x600.

How can I change this to at least 1024x768 ?

Thanks in advance....

Wolfgang
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Please see the Forum FAQ
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
wolfganghu

Post by wolfganghu »

The hint in the FAQ is to install the guest additions.

BUT: if I want to run a live CD in the VM I won't be able to install anything. The conclusion here is that I will not be able to use higher resolutions on that VM, correct ?

The only way to create something similar to a blank live CD - VM would be to install a blank system, add the guest additions, change the resolution and take a snapshot to revert to. Does this sound practicable ?
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

No of course you can install components into a LiveCD. It's just that if you reboot or need to log out and in again. There are all sorts of issues and tricks to using LliveCDs. Why not create a copy a topic so that we discuss this as a specific LiveCD issue.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.