updating VB 5 -> VB 6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
maker675

updating VB 5 -> VB 6

Post by maker675 »

OSX host, primarily Windows10 guest. To update VB5-> VB6 does one simply install VB 6 and then carry on working as before? Will it find and import any VB5 config files as well as open virtual machines created with VB5? Can one revert to using VB5 if there are problems?

Have been browsing for some time and haven't found an explanatory document.

btw. would it be better to wait a bit longer?
maker675

Re: updating VB 5 -> VB 6

Post by maker675 »

Did I ask a stupid question? Does happen!
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Yes, you can just uninstall whichever v5.x.x version you have installed and install v6.0.4 (the latest as I type). All of the configuration files and your guests will be fine.

There are a few known issues with v6.0.x which you may stumble across. Many of them are detailed in the "Discuss the 6.0.x release" threads in the Using VirtualBox part of the forum.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
maker675

Post by maker675 »

Thanks a lot for info.

It's backed up but never blase about experimenting on a file as big and complex as a virtual environment.