USB Wireless NIC stops once in Kali VM within VB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JPQuinn

USB Wireless NIC stops once in Kali VM within VB

Post by JPQuinn »

Hello,
I'm on a MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave 1.14.2, Virtual Box Version 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.3), Kali 2018.4, tp-link AC1300 High Gain Wireless MU-MIMO USB Adapter Archer T4U (chipset RTL8812AU), and all of them are up-to-date.
When I open Kali as the VM within VirtualBox, the USB stops working.
I've configured this properly, as I follow along in a ethical Hacking course, including redoing everything, and in direction communications with the instructor.
A point has been reached, where the idea is something incompatible with VB. As everything is set accordingly, NAT Network, intsalled drivers, ports in the VM configured, etc, but Kali simply won't see the NIC. The NIC is good, I can work with in straight on the MBP.
Please let me know what details I can share to help troubleshoot this issue.
Also, is there a known issue with my host system, and the versions of everything that I'm working with?
Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB Wireless NIC stops once in Kali VM within VB

Post by socratis »

JPQuinn wrote:When I open Kali as the VM within VirtualBox, the USB stops working.
What does that mean? That you lose if from the host? That is to be expected. Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JPQuinn

Post by JPQuinn »

I forgot the add, the last suggestion was to uninstall the current version of VB, and to install an older version. Before I embark on that Journey, I'd like to get some feedback from here. I've already reinstalled and re-setup everything several times, and also done this in tandem with Parallels that I have installed, and I get the same dead USB Wireless NIC on that setup as well.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, but did you read my post? I asked you a couple of questions and I told you to provide a couple of information...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.