VB 6.0.0 host hangs (is unresponsive) on Mac OS Mojave

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
tschuber

VB 6.0.0 host hangs (is unresponsive) on Mac OS Mojave

Post by tschuber »

When starting the VB host and then immediately quitting it (without starting a VM), the application hangs and I must force-quit it. Does anybody know the reason for that behavior? I have the current guest extensions installed.
Attachments
Unresponsive.zip
Crash Report
(111.82 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VB 6.0.0 host hangs (is unresponsive) on Mac OS Mojave

Post by socratis »

tschuber wrote:I have the current guest extensions installed.
You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) gets installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing (for PS/2 mice), enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
As far as the crash goes, please post the output of the command:
  • 
    kextstat | grep -v com.apple
as well as a list of all 3rd party applications that you have installed if you can...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tschuber

Post by tschuber »

Dear Socratis,

thanks for your reply. Sorry about the terminology, I've got both the latest extension pack (v6.0.0r127566) installed on the host and the current guest additions installed on the guest(s). The crash happens also if I don't run any guest. I'm on a late 2014 iMac. enclosed is the output of the kextstat. In terms of 3rd party applications, I've got MS Office 2016, Bitdefender Virus Scanner, CCleaner, ifolor Designer, Keka, KnockKnock, mp3 Scan+Repair, OneDrive, ApplePi-Baker, Oracle VB6 and SpiderOak One installed (all in the most recent version).
Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>
  158    3 0xffffff7f86ed9000 0xef000    0xef000    org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (6.0.0) 90C5538D-EAA4-3EE0-AFF7-C60B469DCC90 <8 6 5 3 1>
  162    0 0xffffff7f86fc8000 0x8000     0x8000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (6.0.0) 05696B73-790D-3AEA-A761-D596A8594380 <161 158 53 8 6 5 3 1>
  167    0 0xffffff7f86fd0000 0x5000     0x5000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (6.0.0) B6345263-C6EB-3365-BC16-7594E4B9870A <158 8 6 5 3 1>
  168    0 0xffffff7f86fd5000 0x6000     0x6000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (6.0.0) C12A4634-55F8-39C2-848D-7E358A29E174 <158 6 5 1>
Last edited by socratis on 5. Jan 2019, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced attachment with actual text.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Your kexts seem pretty fine, actually the only ones you got are the VirtualBox ones. So, something else is interfering, and the only way I know of discovering that "else" is to start uninstalling apps one-by-one. I'd start with the following order:
  • KnockKnock
  • Bitdefender Virus Scanner
  • CCleaner (see if it has an option of constantly running and disable it)
  • SpiderOak One
I don't think the rest of the apps might interfere...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tschuber

Post by tschuber »

I tried uninstalling these applications, unfortunately, that did not change anything. I should add that with the VG version before 6.0, everything worked fine. Can I downgrade?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, you can, I do it several times a day. But that's not really the solution, that's not even a viable workaround, how long are you going to be at 5.2.x?

If you open "/Applications/Utilities/Console.app" and you go "View" » "Show Log List" (if the logs aren't shown), do you see any VirtualBox crash logs? Usually under "User Diagnostic Reports", something that starts like this:

Code: Select all

Process:               VirtualBox [51551]
Path:                  /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBox
Identifier:            org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBox
Version:               6.0.1 (6.0.1)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           VirtualBox [51551]
User ID:               502

Date/Time:             2018-12-27 09:27:58.929 +0200
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.11.6 (15G22010)
Report Version:        11
Anonymous UUID:        136CB33D-2F59-B9BE-BBD6-8CA8E6DC35EE
If you do, ZIP the most recent crash (right-click, Reveal in Finder) and attach it to your response.
tschuber

Post by tschuber »

There's no crash log, only the hang log that I already posted (new one enclosed). The VB main application works totally normal but does not quit properly.
Attachments
VirtualBox_2019-01-06-193633_Thomas-iMac.hang.zip
(93.53 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
tschuber

Post by tschuber »

I've downgraded to 5.2.22.
LRick

Post by LRick »

I have the exact same problme after upgradeing to 6.0.0... even after updating to 6.0.2

Explorer just hangs so I must forcefully shut the machine off.
(If I try and log off then it hangs on "Logging Off")

My solution:
If I remove all "Shared Folders" for the virtual machine then everything works great again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

LRick wrote:Explorer just hangs
Explorer? What "Explorer"? Are you sure you posted in the correct thread? OSX doesn't have an "Explorer", it has a "Finder". And this doesn't sound like the original problem at all...
pingoui

Post by pingoui »

I have the same problem since upgraded to VB 6.

I'm running Mojave (10.14.4) on a macbook pro 15" (early 2013: i7 2.7GHz, 16GB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB).

Every time I tried to quit VB (main application); it hang. I tried to let it run for a full night without anything more positive. Otherwise, it seem to be working ok. I have the last relase of Guest addition on all VM and removed all shared folders without any success. Didn't have any problems with previous release.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@pingoui
We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where/when the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
tschuber

Post by tschuber »

I managed to solve my problem by completely uninstalling V5 (using the uninstall script provided in the installer package) and then installing V6 (current version).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@tschuber
How were you doing it before? You were simply dragging the VirtualBox.app in the Trash?