Can't use download

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
TAlbert

Can't use download

Post by TAlbert »

I'm using a mac (With MacOS High Sierra) as my host. I tried downloading virtualBox, but it was a pkg file. I don't have the admin password, so I just used unpkg. I then opened the VirtualBox folder I got, which contained folders entitled VirtualBox, OSXFuseCore, VBoxKEXTs, VirtualBoxCLI. I opened the VirtualBox folder, and attempted to open the application inside, I got the error message:
VirtualBox cannot be opened because of a problem.
Check with the developer to make sure VirtualBox works with this version of macOS. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and macOS.

Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.
The application seemed to have everything an application would need inside of it, and I attempted this with the last 3 versions. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Can't use download

Post by andyp73 »

TAlbert wrote:Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
VirtualBox needs to install some kernel extensions (the contents of VBoxKEXTs) in order to function correctly. I'm not aware of any mechanism you can deploy these on macOS without the admin privileges.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Moving to "OSX Hosts" from "Using VirtualBox".
TAlbert wrote:I tried downloading virtualBox, but it was a pkg file.
Slight correction; it was a DMG mountable file which included the PKG installation file...
TAlbert wrote:I don't have the admin password
As Andy said, forget about it.
TAlbert wrote:Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Get the admin to install it, or give you access to it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TAlbert

Post by TAlbert »

Ok thanks I was hoping that there was a way I could just move the files to somewhere in the app, or perhaps in the library, so that I wouldn't have to bother the admin.
Last edited by socratis on 31. Dec 2018, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

No, there's not. Even the "solution" that's advertised as "Portable VirtualBox" needs an admin password. There's no software that needs kernel access that can/should be installed by a simple user. That's the very reason for the existence of a simple user...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.