Running VBox on mojave with mult monitors. Laptop display is laggy

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
kurtzilla

Running VBox on mojave with mult monitors. Laptop display is laggy

Post by kurtzilla »

I have a virtual machine setup and everything runs fine when viewing on an external monitor. Unfortunately, this is not my preferred use case. I would like for this to work on the laptops built in display.
When I move the machine's window to the display on the laptop itself, performance degrades, interaction is near-impossible due to the extreme lag and cpu usage climbs (150% + cpu). When I move the window back to an external monitor, everything runs ok after a short period of readjustment.
Please forgive me as I have very little knowledge of how to troubleshoot this program...looking for guidance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Processor 2.5GHz intel core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
XP_win32-2018-12-28-13-15-41.log.zip
VBox.log
(26.52 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Running VBox on mojave with mult monitors. Laptop display is laggy

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.22 r126460 darwin.amd64 (Nov  8 2018 20:49:20) release log
00:00:01.608001   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 6.0.0 r127566; VRDE Module:
    VBoxVRDP unusable because of 'Failed to load the main module
    ('/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/
    Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMainVM.dylib'): VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
    dlopen(/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/
    Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMainVM.dylib, 6): Library not
    loaded: /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxVMM.dylib
00:00:01.608004   Referenced from:
    /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/
    Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMainVM.dylib
00:00:01.608004   Reason: Incompatible library version: VBoxPuelMainVM.dylib requires version
    6.0.0 or later, but VBoxVMM.dylib provides version 5.2.22')
Usually I see the opposite, someone updates VirtualBox but they don't update their ExtPack. You need to have both VirtualBox and the ExtPack at the same version.
00:00:01.637713 File system of '/vBox/XP_win32.vdi' is unknown
Did you create a top-level directory name "/vBox"? Why the total disregard for all the security recommendations in the host OS?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kurtzilla

Post by kurtzilla »

Thank you for your reply. I simply re-installed everything and it worked out much better. There is still an issue with the amount of video memory that I can allocate - I am stuck at 128mb. Not sure what to do or what I may be missing.

As far as the disregard for security...
The first time I installed, I just winged the install without reading any docs. I also installed, more or less, as a proof of concept, to determine if the software I wanted to run would actually work.

On the most recent install, I followed the install guide from https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... Manual.pdf, and would like to report that there is very little to no security recommendations there (3 pages?). While I am certain that a best practices guide exists somewhere, I did not find it readily available or obvious in my installation.
Attachments
Smaart Win XP-2019-01-02-10-29-43.log.zip
(27.07 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

kurtzilla wrote:I am stuck at 128mb. Not sure what to do or what I may be missing
It appears you're missing nothing. I thought that the Win guests could go to 256 MB. WinXP can go only up to 128 MB, maybe something changed? I got to check. Mea culpa... :(
kurtzilla wrote:While I am certain that a best practices guide exists somewhere, I did not find it readily available or obvious in my installation.
I was referring to the OSX security, not the VirtualBox security. It's highly unusual/not-reccomended for an OSX installation to have user created directories in the top directory. That's the problem, not with VirtualBox...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kurtzilla

Post by kurtzilla »

I get it - like I said I was doing proof of concept first time around. I went with defaults on the second install.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll keep an eye out for any video solution updates.