Having trouble installing VirtualBox to use Local by Flywheel

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
kabbalisticvillage

Having trouble installing VirtualBox to use Local by Flywheel

Post by kabbalisticvillage »

So up until two days ago I had no idea VritualBox was even on my computer and that I needed it to run Local by Flywheel (wordpress offline development program). The problems started after I got stuck with a Local Router Error message on Local by Flywheel so I updated it and then it said it needed to update VirtualBox as well and it did but then i got a message about missing kernels or something and now I can't use Local by FLywheel (which i need for work) and I can't reinstall Virtual Box. The installation keeps failing at the end. I checked the security thing on mac to see if there was a message to let Oracle use the system but there is no message. I tried installing with earlier builds as well then 6.0 but nothing workings. I am running Mac OS X 10.9.5. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Having trouble installing VirtualBox to use Local by Flywheel

Post by socratis »

I don't know what "Local by Flywheel" is, but I don't see it as having anything to do with VirtualBox, from an extensive 30 seconds look! ;)
kabbalisticvillage wrote:So up until two days ago I had no idea VritualBox was even on my computer
Well, something is using it then: Vagrant, Kitchen, Andy, Docker, Ubiquitous Bash, Genymotion, or some emulator of sorts?
kabbalisticvillage wrote:and then it said it needed to update VirtualBox as well
Who is "it" in the "it said" part?
kabbalisticvillage wrote:and I can't reinstall Virtual Box. The installation keeps failing at the end.
Did you try a stand alone installation of VirtualBox? What happens? It fails? What's the error message? Exactly!

You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kabbalisticvillage

Local by Flywheel uses VirtualBox. there's nothing else on my computer that would need it. I will try your steps and see what happens. When you say Mount the DMG...I should first run the uninstaller tool before trying to reinstall?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

kabbalisticvillage wrote:Local by Flywheel uses VirtualBox.
It does? Well, turns out you're almost right. From their features:
Features wrote:Containerization
  • Isolated sites powered by Docker
So, if you want to avoid any trouble, and since it sounds that this is important, I would ask Local by Flywheel. They'll most probably refer you to Docker, which will most probably refer you to us.

But if you do it the VirtualBox way and it breaks their config, that's their problem, not VirtualBox's. I'm just making sure that you understand what's going on...
kabbalisticvillage wrote:I should first run the uninstaller tool before trying to reinstall?
I often find it relaxing to know that I start from a clean slate...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kabbalisticvillage

thank you for the help. This is the message i get when i try opening Local by Flywheel:
Local by Flywheel failed to load kernels from Virtual Box.
I will try to figure it out. Thanks.
MyCatsNameIsBernie
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by MyCatsNameIsBernie »

I found this page very useful in debugging my own VirtualBox installation failure.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@MyCatsNameIsBernie
Thanks for the input, but your link unfortunately does not address the problem that 'kabbalisticvillage' is facing, which is a version mismatch problem.

What your link solves is the initial (only) installation of VirtualBox in a >10.13 host. We also have a local page here, a sticky on the "OSX Hosts" section: Installation fails on 10.13.x, 10.14.x (rc=-1908).