Bluetooth on MacBook Pro 2018 (usb-c)?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
antonvh

Bluetooth on MacBook Pro 2018 (usb-c)?

Post by antonvh »

On my 2017 MacBook Pro, bluetooth was a capturable USB device. That macbook also had regular USB ports on the outside. On my new 2018 macbook, with only USB-C on the outside these are alle the capturable USB devices:

Apple Inc. iBridge Facetime HD camera [0210]
Apple Inc. iBridge Display [0210]
Apple Inc. iBridge ALS [0210]
Apple Inc. iBridge [0210]
Apple Inc. iBridge DFR Brightness [0210]
Apple Headset [0001]

How do I capture bluetooth in Virtual Box?

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Bluetooth on MacBook Pro 2018 (usb-c)?

Post by mpack »

Do you have an unused bluetooth adapter connnected to a host USB controller? If yes then you can capture it. If not then you can't.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, maybe I'm not seeing it, but where is the Bluetooth in that list of USB devices? Can you post the output of:
  • 
    VBoxManage list usbhost
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

I think that was the original question: Is the Bluetooth controller in the 2018 MacBook Pro still USB connected?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There's no other way to connect a Bluetooth controller AFAIK, they're all USB based/connected...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm not a MacBook user, nor ever planning to be, so I have no way of knowing if the MBPro 2018 needs a Bluetooth controller for standard hardware. I.e. why did it ever need one, why not USB throughout?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:I'm not a MacBook user, nor ever planning to be
Oh, come on Don! I have Apple shares for crying out loud! Help a brother out, buy a Mac... :D
mpack wrote:why did it ever need one, why not USB throughout?
The Bluetooth controller is connect via USB οn on the Macs I've owned/seen.

According to MacTracker, there are two MBP 2018 models, the 13" and the 15" one. Both of them have Bluetooth 5.0. And if they have Bluetooth, 99.99% it's via a USB controller. I'll wait for the output of the "list usbhost" command... And if that's not good enough the output of:
  • 
    ioreg -p IOUSB -l -w 0
Here's what it looks like on mine (chopped for brevity), it's a USB alright:
+-o Bluetooth USB Host Controller@14300000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x1000004b8, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (2095 ms), retain 21>
|   {
|     "sessionID" = 11942074782
|     "iManufacturer" = 1
|     "bNumConfigurations" = 1
|     "idProduct" = 33424         <-- ProductID in decimal, 0x8290 in hex
|     "bcdDevice" = 281           <-- Revision in decimal, 0x0119 in hex
|     "Bus Power Available" = 500
|     "USB Address" = 9
|     "bMaxPacketSize0" = 64
|     "iProduct" = 2
|     "iSerialNumber" = 0
|     "bDeviceClass" = 239
|     "Built-In" = Yes
|     "locationID" = 338690048
|     "bDeviceSubClass" = 2
|     "bcdUSB" = 513
|     "USB Product Name" = "Bluetooth USB Host Controller"
|     "PortNum" = 3
|     "non-removable" = "yes"
|     "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle"}
|     "bDeviceProtocol" = 1
|     "IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"
|     "IOPowerManagement" = {"DevicePowerState"=0,"CurrentPowerState"=3,"CapabilityFlags"=65536,"MaxPowerState"=4,"DriverPowerState"=3}
|     "Device Speed" = 1
|     "USB Vendor Name" = "Broadcom Corp."
|     "idVendor" = 1452           <-- VendorID in decimal, 0x05ac in hex
|     "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
|     "IOClassNameOverride" = "IOUSBDevice"
|   }
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

We may be talking at cross purposes. Obviously if a PC has a bluetooth controller then it connects to the USB bus - they all work that way. The question I couldn't answer is whether the new MBP has a bluetooth controller at all, as that's an obvious answer to the question "why can't I see my bluetooth controller".

Ok, so next obvious question. Has the bluetooth been disconnected or disabled?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:The question I couldn't answer is whether the new MBP has a bluetooth controller at all
It does as I said according to MacTracker (a database of all Apple things related), but the online specs from Apple (under Wireless) show the same thing; yes, there is a Bluetooth adapter.
mpack wrote:Ok, so next obvious question. Has the bluetooth been disconnected or disabled?
I've never had in my 3 different Macs an issue with this. So, I'm a little bit puzzled as well...
lucas72

Post by lucas72 »

ok... I've been dealing with this issue since yesterday. My host is OSX 10.15.4 (Catalina), I'm hosting Win10... there's NO WAY to see the bluetooth inside Win10! :?
Am I missing something?! :oops:
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

lucas72 wrote:Am I missing something?! :oops:
(1) BlueTooth is connected to the USB bus, i.e. it is implemented as a Bluetooth/USB adapter.
(2) USB devices can't be shared, they must be owned entirely by the host or entirely by the guest.

Hence, the guest can't own a device (the Bluetooth controller) which the host is using. On Windows hosts I believe the host can be robbed of a device (all host bluetooth connections will fail), vut OS X hosts use a different mechanism and it seems that OS X locks USB devices to prevent them being ejected.

It's a consequence of the fundamental difference between running an application in your host vs running it in a second (virtual) PC.