[Solved] VB Freeze on Start on new Appliance, Log File Attached

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JPQuinn

[Solved] VB Freeze on Start on new Appliance, Log File Attached

Post by JPQuinn »

Hello, I'm on a MacOS 10.14.2, and have installed VirtualBox for Mac 5.2.22, and imported an Appliance EndPointProtector 5 successfully. When I go to start the new VM, it starts up, but then freezes up, and I have to shut it down or stop it, it doesn't fully boot up. I've attached a log file that I captured while I started the VB up, then started the VM up, then shut down the frozen VM, and got the log file (zipped, too large otherwise). Looking for help in why it freezes, trying to get it to fully boot up in VB. Thank you
Attachments
Endpoint Protector 5.1.0.2. Virtual Appliance-2018-12-12-14-30-50.log.zip
screenshot of where it freezes
(26.19 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by socratis on 13. Dec 2018, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VB Freeze on Start on new Appliance, Log File Attached

Post by socratis »

OK, I figured it out...

I downloaded Endpoint Protector 5 - V 5.1.0.2 and imported it. Then I went ahead and changed what *I* consider the defaults to be, and it worked. I re-imported it and didn't change any settings, and it failed. And going through each and every setting, I figured out where the problem was; the audio card. Change the audio card from "ICH AC97" to "Intel HDA" and the VM boots!

BTW, it doesn't "freeze", it gets stuck right when it's about to initialize the audio and it can't, but it's still running. You can see that from the blinking cursor when that happens, right after the lines:
* Starting MySQL 5.6 Server                                              [ OK ]
* Stopping nginx - small, powerful, scalable web/proxy server            [ OK ]
* Starting nginx - small, powerful, scalable web/proxy server            [ OK ]
_
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JPQuinn

Post by JPQuinn »

Yes, this is fantastic, it worked. Thank you very much. I also tried to do the same in my Parallels PVM version, however its not so easy to get at the audio card setting there, but thats not important, I can boot up. It does give an immediate error about console, but wait a short bit, then it goes to an eppserver login. I'll find out what's that about as I progress throughthe course. Again, thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad I could help. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.