HELP - Virtual Machine launches to a screen with UEFI Interactive Shell v2.1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
RayL

HELP - Virtual Machine launches to a screen with UEFI Interactive Shell v2.1

Post by RayL »

I've downloaded VirtualBox Version 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.3) to my Macbook Pro running macOS Mojave Version 10.14.2 (18C54) with 340 GB available.

When I launch VirtualBox from Finder, the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager opens with the Firtual Machine I created on the left side of this window with the "New", "Settings", "Disgard" and "Start" buttons above with the Virtual Machine "Powered Off".

When I click on "Start", the Virtual Machine launches ("[Running]" at the top of this window). However, the screen is black with the following text:

UEFI Interactive Shell v2.1
EDK II
UEFI v2.40 (EDK II, 0x00010000)
Mapping table
BLK0: Alias(s):
PciRoot (0x0)/Pci (0x1f,0x2)/Sata (0x0,0x0,0x0)
Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startu.nsh or any other key to continue.
Shell>

Please see the attached image.

I've searched online for solutions to this but haven't found anything helpful. I'm optimistic about having better luck here.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 7.40.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 7.40.46 PM.png (94.81 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: HELP - Virtual Machine launches to a screen with UEFI Interactive Shell v2.1

Post by andyp73 »

It looks like you have defined a guest to use the UEFI BIOS but haven't actually installed a guest OS. How is the guest configured within VirtualBox Manager and what OS do you think you have installed?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
AwwwDRAT

Re: HELP - Virtual Machine launches to a screen with UEFI Interactive Shell v2.1

Post by AwwwDRAT »

I get this also when trying to install windows XP. What info can I give you for some help? Im running Windows 10 with vbox 6 installed.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

AwwwDRAT wrote:I get this also when trying to install windows XP.
If you had used the default template for creating a Windows XP guest then it would use the standard BIOS not EFI. Have you created this guest yourself or have you imported something from somewhere?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What is the point of using an EFI BIOS with XP? The XP installer only understands MBR partitions.