[Invalid] Trouble adjusting network settings on new host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
marc-vm

[Invalid] Trouble adjusting network settings on new host

Post by marc-vm »

Hello there, and thanks in advance for your help.

I'm struggling with migrating a Ubuntu VM to another host and with adjusting the network settings accordingly. The new host is not connected to the same router as the original host. I have an inkling that I have to adjust something that is network-related, either at the VM level or on the Virtualbox level, but I'm lost. Thanks again for your help.

Marc.
Last edited by socratis on 2. Dec 2018, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trouble adjusting network settings on new host

Post by socratis »

marc-vm wrote:but I'm lost
Imagine how we feel with the level of detailed description that you provided. Do you want to try again, but with details such as IPs, network type, from where to where. Details. All of them...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
marc-vm

Post by marc-vm »

@socratis, thanks so much for the quick reply.

The VM is set in /etc/network/interfaces to use 192.168.1.15 as static IP. When I launch it on the new host, it cannot be accessed at that IP however which I suppose is because it's not connected to the same router as in the original environment. I have Adapter1 currently set to "Bridged Adapter / en0 Wi-Fi (Wireless)." I don't have anything set up under Global Tools / Host Network Manager.

Greetings from Miami, and thanks again.

m/
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid that still you're short on the details:
  • What was the old range/mask?
  • What is the new range/mask?
  • Does it have to be a static IP?
  • Where is the VirtualBox question in all of this?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
marc-vm

Post by marc-vm »

@socratis, your questions helped me solve the problem. Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad I could steer your thinking towards the solution. I'll mark this as [Invalid] because I don't think that your question had anything to do with VirtualBox, except the fact that the server was running in VirtualBox.
marc-vm

Re: [Invalid] Trouble adjusting network settings on new host

Post by marc-vm »

@socratis, thanks for your patience with me.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Invalid] Trouble adjusting network settings on new host

Post by socratis »

You're welcome, but you weren't "tiring" at all... ;)